"Dyna Beads" wheel balancing
Hi everyone,
I would like to know if anyone else have any experience with this new method they use to balance bike tyres. Instead of the normal stick on weights, they throw a handfull (30g) of small ceramic beads called "Dyna Beads" into the tyre cavity. These supposedly moves around inside the tyre as you ride and balance it out.
Well I recently replaced my Busa's rubber, and they used these Dyna Beads to balance the wheels. Now I am experiencing so much vibration I can hardly see what's in the rear view mirror.
I'm hoping for some feedback from you guys, whether it could be the tyres or the way they are balanced.
Just for info, I fitted a set of Pilot Powers.
Yack,

I take it that your tyres are now damaged due to the vibration?

I'd be heading over to the Department of Consumer Protection for 'clarification'.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumerprotection/

Camel
I'm planning to redo the balancing, using the normal method (counter weights stuck to the rim) Hope it solves the problem.

Camel, do you recon I could have damaged the tyres ?
(31-10-2013, 05:02pm)Yack0u Wrote: I'm planning to redo the balancing, using the normal method (counter weights stuck to the rim) Hope it solves the problem.
Camel, do you recon I could have damaged the tyres ?

If I was you, I wouldn't touch the wheels, I'd go back to whoever fitted your tyres and installed the beads. Tell them of the symptoms, let them sort it out. If they don't/can't, inform them you'll be speaking with consumer protection. If they baulk, got to Consumer Protection. If they can't help or it's going to take forever, go to another (reputable) dealer and explain your situation. If they say your tyres are damaged then I'd be seeking some form of recompense from the bead installers. Again, that would probably necessitate a trip to Consumer Protection.
Good luck.
Camel
Your post lead me to do a search on Dyna Beads. I thought perhaps they were something from a Patpong floor show!

What I found was a whole load of 'whats the best oil' type of threads. Some wildly in favour and others extremely sceptical. I'm in the 'sounds like another Firepower' category. I'll stick with the static balance first, then dynamic balance category.

As Camel suggests - take it back - it really doesn't matter how its been balanced, its obviously not right.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
Found the site for Dyna Beads.
Think I would stick to the traditional tyre/wheel balancing method myself.
The moron that came up with such idiotic idea should really go back to school and repeat year 9 basic physics lessons. How on earth is this suppose to work? The centrifugal force will keep any beads against the internal walls of the tire wherever it wants and completely at random (actually there are some small ridges at regular intervals on the inside of the tire so they will roll somwhere between them). During fast acceleration or breaking they will probably roll around the tyre due to inertia forces. How the f*** can this balance the wheel? No wonder you get bad vibes. Go back to the shop as Camel suggested and say that you considering legal action for endangering your life. (really I am itching to suggest knocking some sense into the idiots with a tire lever but only follow that advice enirely at your discression and when there is no witnesses).

(31-10-2013, 08:16pm)A^K^T Wrote: Found the site for Dyna Beads.
Think I would stick to the traditional tyre/wheel balancing method myself.

Visited their website and found this disclaimer for their product: - "We strongly advise against using Dyna Beads in any vehicle used for racing, for any application involving cornering at high speeds, or in tires placed under high acceleration beyond normal highway use. (drag racing, etc)" Just made for the Busa Pi_thumbsup

Also found some comments from reviews:

"Check the February issue of Motorcycle Consumer News, page 5, "Tire Bead 411". MCN tested these in October of 2006, and found that they did not work: they loaded a verified unbalanced tire with them, ran it on a shop balancer, and it was still off balance with the beads. After that, they did a road test: the beads made a barely perceptible improvement in the wheel vibration/bounce. The beads also created a gyroscope effect, making steering more sluggish, as per the editor's comments."

f*&^ing retards Knuppel2
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Didn't they try something lie this in the 80s with a gel or thick liquid?

The issue I see is that a heavy point or outward deviation will create a greater centrifugic force thus push the beads to exactly where they don't want to be... I am sure this may work in test labs at a reasonable rotation cycle but as shifu said.. Real life riding is pushing the laws of physics to its max and the deviations in force on a tyre are amazingly great.... Just watch any gp bike cam LOL
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Here ya go Bat,

http://www.tyreprotectorlasamericas.com/...tages.html

seems feasible for big stuff.. not sure i'd want it on a bike tyre.

The thought of ceramic balls inside the bike tires, dynamically or statically balanced (it'd be impossible to statically balance this tire/rim/ball configuration), most modern wheel "shop" balancers do both, would scare the $#!7 outa me...you'd have to fit me up with a pair of ceramic balls to get on it, I'll take my lead weights and like it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_balance

Thompy.
Hot Coffee , Fast :Biker:

Diesel.
Go to Youtube and search "Dynabeads"

There are a few clips that demonstrate how it works. Undecided
Forget the dyna beads. Simply balance the Busa bare rims first. Place a permanent crimp on weight in the required place on the centre of the rim. From this point forward you will need between zero to 20 grams to balance any good quality front tyre. I balance my rears but in all honesty unless the rear is out by more than 30 odd grams it really is a waste of time balancing the rear. Especially on bikes that rarely see 200 plus kph. Little side note, add a tiny dot of white paint on the rim next to the permanent weight so as you can see if the weight has ever shifted position on the rim. Works for me, Paul.Very Happy