regulator/rectifier burnt wires ?
Hi guys, went to go for a ride this morning, put the key in, turned it on, nothing, no lights, dash anything. Checked battery voltage, 12.6v, so I think that's fine. removed the rear body work to check regulator/rectifier plug. I found the wires leading to the reg/rec plug are burnt. I guessing the reg/rec is stuffed again, but way. this will be the 3rd one I've put in my '03 busa. I've never replaced the stator, so could this be part of the problem. I'm also assuming the reason I have no power to the bike is because of the burnt wires ? Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Also, with is better oem reg/rec or rick's motorsport ?
sounds like your stator is rooted, take it to an auto electrian to get it checked
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SHINDENGEN-MO...58a3c15b45
when you replaced the regulator previously did you fix the burnt terminals in the connector ?

the overheating has nothing to do with the regulator condition except thats its working , its the quality of the connection or lack of that causes the problem

the terminals and connecting plastic plug are available at my auto elects in a small country town so i figure there available just about anywhere

if your battery is showing 12.6 v first check would be the battery terminals then the main fuse at the starter relay
Yeah I did replace both terminal plugs last time. I'm thinking they were cheap crap terminals. I'm thinking of hard wiring the reg/rec this time. Anyone else done this and any thoughts on this ?
on the old srad 750 that same connection would fault and it was a common fix to hard wire it
i have replaced several gen 1 connectors, mostly just put the original style back on but my salt racer has an AMP waterproof connector fitted

lots of options
I've decided to use a high quality waterproof plug rated to 50amps from Jaycar. I've now got the proper crimping tool for the terminals
and I'll also solder the wires to the terminals. When I replaced the last reg/rec I didn't have the correct crimping tool so I wasn't getting a very good connection through the terminals, hence the resistance, hence heat and melted wires. But at least I'm learning new skills and I've now also wired up some new spot lights, a UHF radio and some LED camp lighting on my 4WD. Proper tools make a job so much easier to do, as does quality connection plugs and terminals.