Tyres where there are no corners or rain ...
Looking for advice on long wearing tyres for a place with no corners and where it never rains.

I ride daily - there are literally 7 intersections (5 within the first 2km, 60k suburbs) and four big sweepers (200+, not that I ride like that of course) on my 32km commute each way. For all practical purposes it never rains.

I'm thinking I could probably go as hard a compound as there is, so long as its roadworthy and speed rated appropriately (given the unlimited speed zone we have Very Happy ).

A good friend suggested Pirelli Angel GT - any other thoughts out there? With some fun rides I probably average 450-500km a week.

Cheers ...
I am trying out the Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 which are reported to have another 30% wear life in them... Have heard the Pilot Road 3 are good for wear too...

Read up on this link..

http://www.ridermagazine.com/browse-by-t...guide.htm/
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Might be trial-and-error experiment.......hard wearing may not be that hard wearing with the temps you get up there.
Whaddya mean there's no bourbon left????
Scary Wtf
I am getting a good run out of my Mich Pilot road 3's. Just done a 6500km trip to Tassie from the Sunshine Coast. The rear has 10000km on it now and looking at the wear it looks like it will get 15000kms. No issues with pushing hard on the winding roads of Tassie either!
I get good commuting miles out of Pilot Road 2, and they still go alright around corners. Pilot Road 3 are supposed to be even better.
How extreme with mileage do you want to go?
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=mileagedisplay
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(12-02-2014, 09:43pm)Ward P Wrote: How extreme with mileage do you want to go?
http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=mileagedisplay

Nice chart Ward :-) Thanks and thanks for all the other replies people.

I'm on the original set of rubber - bike has done 2500 or so and theres a noticeable flat spot on the rear. I did take it for a serious blat in the derestricted speed zone and by the time I got to my destination the rubber was peeling (and lots of 4" long bug splats). Wasn't a particularly hot day, only 38 or so. On a side note, from someone coming from riding a 650 thumper, it was to say the least an incredible experience. For all you seasoned 'busa riders, try to remember the first time you went 'that fast' - some of us leave it to later in life :-)

Most of my commute is spent between 100-115 or so (indicated) - its open road to work but not 130 or desrestricted unfortunately - or fortunately given the toll it would take on tyres !!

I briefly thought today I should have a commuter and keep 'busa for rec rides, but then realised the insanity of such a thought, so I just need to get some rubber that will suit the conditions here to make commuting affordable.

Planning on another blat up north this weekend to see if that little pin really does stop the needle from moving and get some more gopro footage, hopefully the journalists have all left town, but there's a plethora of new cars with camo-disguises up here at the moment so it could be 'fun'. I reckon my tyres will be toast after this one ...

Cheers ...
What tyre pressure you running? I run 40 psi rear and 38 front. I put 42 in the rear for the trip to tassie with the Ventura rack on the back. One day in Tassie the temp was over 35 degC and the butumin was even melting! Also did over 4 hours in 40 deg heat from Melbourne to Yass. No issue with the bike but I was rooted, spent 3 hours that arvo at the Royal Hotel in Yass cooling off and rehydrating.
Go the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT. You should pick them up cheap because they are superceded, but are a the best tyre for long tyre life.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
I used to work at Cyclone M/C in Darwin...... guys come in raving about the life of the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's. I've got good mileage out of Pilot road 2's n 3's. The reviews are saying the new Pirelli Angel GT's are good for mileage.

It's all trial n error. What's good down here isn't always good up there
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
Pilot Road 3 have a harder centre compound on the rear and you will get great mileage from them. Run them at 42psi for better wear.
Metzeler Z6s would be good if you can track down a set. Alternatively you could run Conti Motions or Shinko raven 009s. They are not extremely long wearing but are inexpensive and perform quite well. Someone's old track tyres might be an idea, the centres are usually still quite good.