tyre ratings different?
Just got a Pilot power 3 fitted. The mechanic said he did a bit of research and told me the reason that tyres from US are a different rating to tyres available in oz, apparently though I have 120/70 r17 w the tyre I have is rated to 110 mph and not 170+ mph.
is there any truth in this?
THE PP3 is made in Spain and I got it for $107 us
thanks
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

all tyres should have a complete rating on them.. from that you can determine the performance of the tyre...

where the tyre info is eg 120/70 R17 W the speed rating is the "W" which you can see in the following chart is only rated to 167 MPH.. you need the "(W)" to get 167+

[Image: tyrespeedrating_zps5681513e.png]

sry, extract taken from this site...

Bridgestone
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Thanks great info

Batfink is spot on. The letter determines the speed rating, not the slimy BS merchant you encountered.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
Hey storm.... I am thinking he was suggesting you use a local sourced tyre instead.... Maybe a set he just happened to have cheap in the back??

If not then he really need to learn how to operate GOOGLE as it took me about 6 sec to find that while "doing" my real job.. Lol
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
(13-05-2014, 10:53pm)Batfink Wrote: Hey storm.... I am thinking he was suggesting you use a local sourced tyre instead.... Maybe a set he just happened to have cheap in the back??

If not then he really need to learn how to operate GOOGLE as it took me about 6 sec to find that while "doing" my real job.. Lol

Well I was going to use a local supplier but at $230 vs $ 107+ bell helmet on clearance at $75 + $50 shipping I paid him $35 to fit tyre. I don't think michelin makes 120/70 17 W Pilot power3 to suit a bike that goes 110 mph, anyway whatever rating am I gonna ride the Busa like I stole it if I get a chance, bloody oath I will, thanks for the info though,
I had a doubt as I saw some guy on tv talking about Cooper tyres from the US having rating different to oz

(13-05-2014, 04:21pm)Batfink Wrote: all tyres should have a complete rating on them.. from that you can determine the performance of the tyre...

where the tyre info is eg 120/70 R17 W the speed rating is the "W" which you can see in the following chart is only rated to 167 MPH.. you need the "(W)" to get 167+

[Image: tyrespeedrating_zps5681513e.png]

sry, extract taken from this site...

Bridgestone

The table missing Y and (Y) ratings with 186 & 186+ (300 & 300+ km/h)
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Michelin tyres I thought stuck with the same rating system world wide even though they might not be made in France in the main shop. Are you just running one on the front or a set, had a great run out of a rear,7500km not to bad three damp track days 2000km general to hard road running unloaded and a trip to tazzie with no problems
(14-05-2014, 12:33am)busarat Wrote: Michelin tyres I thought stuck with the same rating system world wide even though they might not be made in France in the main shop. Are you just running one on the front or a set, had a great run out of a rear,7500km not to bad three damp track days 2000km general to hard road running unloaded and a trip to tazzie with no problems

Ran PP 2ct soft front, running road 2 rear, just changed front to PP3,
2CT I loved. Great grip and life, did some hard riding including 2500 ins
in 24 hrs ironbutt run plus west to east coast in 4 days not very tight corners but $2.00 sweepers etc, apparently PP3 20% more life and grip let's see how it goes

Both front and rear say 290KP at 42ps, guess it's all good.

Found on average with pilot powers to get around 5k out of a rear and 10 out of a front,most kms were on course grain style tar and getting along at the $2 -$2.50 mark.Only issue had with the pp3 was I thought wet grip closer to the edges was a bit below average( then again pissing down at Eastern creek may have been a bloody big ask) then again loaded up they did behave not to bad at near the end of there life in tazzie rain.
There is no Australian tyre industry any more , any particular tyre like a PP3 could be made in a number of factorys across the world, but the standards should be the same
W rating is pretty much the best you will get on a bike , and in landspeed some have been used to 264 mph , i have used a couple of different brands above 250 (400kms)
What tyres are rated for 186+ mph? W is only 168 so if a Busa can crack 200mph what tyres are available for the speed?

Ok rathings for sustained speeds, so I suppose none has anything more than w rating

Pilot power 3s are a great front tyre. Only average as a rear. Having said that, ignore old mate's advice re the speed rating. Paul.
Have power 3 front, road 2 rear, is on its way out, might get road4 and head to NT to play on unrestricted zone,with 2 cameras just for shits and giggles, for a change for 1 yr speeding is legal but in my experience in NT and WA speeds were possible in the early mornings as when earth temperature rises winds pick and gets hairy as hell.
will also have a GPS to record actual speed.
hence the rating question