aftermarket busa wheels question please
Alloy, magnesium, carbon fibre all are available
whats the weight difference approximately?
what would you choose for fast street? Thanks
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

The RK forged AL alloys are the cheapest at about half the price of carbon or magnesium. Personally I would never put carbon wheels on a street bike (unless you are cash unlimited). You will save about 30 % in weight on forged aluminium and maybe another 10 % on magnesium ones.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I've had carbon on my road bike and had carbon on the track bike. Best bang for your bucks if you like a bike that handles. Ultimately it's probably another one of those, "you get what you paid for" questions. Yes, they cost more, but soooo worth it!

You'll hear lots of negative comments about carbon wheels from people that haven't had them... but they'll tell you, "I know a guy who", or "I read that...". They are actually stronger that magnesium or alloys, apparently.
(25-05-2014, 07:53pm)pan Wrote: I've had carbon on my road bike and had carbon on the track bike. Best bang for your bucks if you like a bike that handles. Ultimately it's probably another one of those, "you get what you paid for" questions. Yes, they cost more, but soooo worth it!

You'll hear lots of negative comments about carbon wheels from people that haven't had them... but they'll tell you, "I know a guy who", or "I read that...". They are actually stronger that magnesium or alloys, apparently.

I've never had the treat of carbon wheels on my bikes, but yes Pan I agree. I have been involved with a lot of carbon products over the years through work. People often have a misconception of carbon being fragile. The correct usage and design application will make for a stronger product than other materials. BUT you pay $$$ for it.

A quote from the industry "Strong, Light, Cheap - pick two"
Can't agree guys...and there's pic's and evidence online to support. Not just "I know a guy" or "I read somewhere" etc.. actual real world examples.
I've seen BST's with hairline cracks, a set shattered into many pieces on minor impact and another with the hub ripped away from the spoke.
MotoGP also banned them as they were not deemed safe for use. Strength comparisons against alloys mean nothing....it's just a talking point.
A weaker material with the correct properties, structure and design for application wins hands down over....but this material is stronger.

Forged alloys for street!

edit: I did lots of research before I forked out $$$$ on rims. I wanted carbon fibre and bought forged alloy (galespeed) and never looked back.
Light is king in the handling department I guess.
forged Al is 2k some crozziera or some company
4k forged magnesium from OZ wheels
Search for deals and see how it does
thanks

(25-05-2014, 08:35pm)BikerBoy Wrote: Can't agree guys...and there's pic's and evidence online to support. Not just "I know a guy" or "I read somewhere" etc.. actual real world examples.
I've seen BST's with hairline cracks, a set shattered into many pieces on minor impact and another with the hub ripped away from the spoke.
MotoGP also banned them as they were not deemed safe for use. Strength comparisons against alloys mean nothing....it's just a talking point.
A weaker material with the correct properties, structure and design for application wins hands down over....but this material is stronger.

Forged alloys for street!

edit: I did lots of research before I forked out $$$$ on rims. I wanted carbon fibre and bought forged alloy (galespeed) and never looked back.

Good point, that shows other aspects of the problem.

1. Not referring to any brand in particular but just because a product is on the market does not mean the engineering or application is correct for the parameters of usage. I have seen far too many both carbon and alloy products readily available on the market that I simply would not trust or go near.

2. Even the big name brands that have earnt trust and reputation cannot possibly take into account every scenario of the road surfaces we encounter. One thunking great pothole, a kerb struck or an impact with road debris and all bets are off for structural integrity.
The major problem with an impacted carbon product is that damage may not be apparent externally, so some people assume it is ok, when that may be far from the case and then continue use until failure occurs.
Like any product used in a stressed environment, even the best must be regularly checked for signs of damage or wear.

As for real world examples of failure, do you know the complete history of the wheels in question before the failure?
Not arguing your point, but all to often people deny or forget an earlier incident that may have led to the eventual failure.

I don't believe there is one perfect material, everyone must look at their own needs, usage and riding environment to make the best decision for them, just as you did. Pi_thumbsup
For me, and I am a grandpa rider, the first thing I would ask is... Can I tell the difference of that 100g? Am I pushing myself and the bike, or competing to that level where a few extra grams is needed to be shaved? Is my glam $$ being spent right?
You notice how super/hyper sports cars do not use carbon fibre on frames or wheels??? Hhmmmm maybe their million $$ a week budget knows something LOL
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
AL forged alloy is the best bang for money for the kind of performance I am after. Reduced unsprung wt and come at a reasonable price as well. Thanks

how much actual weight difference is there for your money ?
gen 2 wheels are getting pretty light compared to gen 1, then you can fit late gsxr wheels that are lighter again
if you want fancy the zx14 are not a weight savings but do look good
example of a conversion here http://www.psychobike.com/forums/suzuki-...ick-2.html
I had a gen 1 which had the dymag carbon fibre rims (which Pan now hasClap) and they were amazing for ride quality and durabilty. For memory i saved around 8kg compared to OEM. They were on the bike with the previous owner, his son who also rode it, me, and now the wheels are doing just fine with their new owner. Obviously avoiding potholes, etc is a good idea. That gen 1 I had weighed 215kg and is one of the best, if not THE best, steering braking and riding bikes i've ever ridden. It depends how much you want to spend and if you'll stop spending after getting just lighter wheels. Mine had kevlar tank, titanium rear spring,light rotors, light rear sprocket, titanium fairing bolts, etc. In my opinion though, just an exhaust, lighter wheels and better brakes will satisfy most without breaking the bank balancePi_thumbsup
(25-05-2014, 11:39pm)Batfink Wrote: For me, and I am a grandpa rider, the first thing I would ask is... Can I tell the difference of that 100g? Am I pushing myself and the bike, or competing to that level where a few extra grams is needed to be shaved? Is my glam $$ being spent right?
You notice how super/hyper sports cars do not use carbon fibre on frames or wheels??? Hhmmmm maybe their million $$ a week budget knows something LOL

Tony, yes, you will feel the difference. Ask anyone who has tried them. ...and it's not 100gm. Jamie is closer with the 8km of rotating mass.

By the way, super/hyper sports cars DO use carbon fibre frames and wheels. Heard of the MacLaren P1 recently?
Yep, Pan is right there. I'm not an experienced track rider but I can notice the difference. Bike turns in, and changes direction a lot quicker and brakes later. Most likely due to a lot of different changes Pan has made, but I am sure the wheels are a big factor. The wheels look as good as new; easy to clean, no sign of damage of any sort, and still look awesome! Just put a new set of tyres on last week at Phillip Island so there was plenty of opportunity to inspect the stripped off rims. Lots of 'experts' turned up but rims were 100% perfect - which disappointed a few of the knockers I reckon!

But my KTM 450 is a different story.

[Image: cf35c40120a13fb94d9905413a1b98f6.jpg]