Avon storm 3dxm
Hi all, just a heads up on these tyres. Firstly this is simply my thoughts as such treat the following feedback in whatever way you see fit. Local bike shop is looking at stocking Avon tyres. Head bloke gets a set of Avon av66 3dxm in and asks me to try a set on the Gen II. Fitted the rear up on Friday night. Was planning to fit the front as well but the weather report for the Oxley looked bleak for Saturday so I decided to leave the ever faithful dunlop q2 sportmax up front until I developed a good feel for the new rear. Cold, miserable conditions from Walcha to Ginger's and this tyre in the wet was nothing short of atrocious. A worn out pilot road 2 in wet conditions was all over it and road 2s are only average in the wet. Rain stopped and I went and played on the patchy, wet hotmix on the bottom of the mountain for a couple of hours. On the dry areas the Avon performed really wheel. Probably better in the dry compared to a Pilot road 3. However as soon as you got a sniff of even the slightest bit of greenness in the tarmac the tyre would immediately snap loose. Did another 300 kms of aggressive blasting on the Oxley today in cold, dry conditions and the tyre performed really well. My concern is that a member may fit these on their busa and assume that because they are such a good dry performer then they are probably more than adequate in the wet when in actual fact the performance goes completely from one extreme to another. I was given the 2 tyres for free to test them and whilst I am happy to live with the rear and take extra care in the damp, I am returning the front so as it never ends up on the pointy end of one of my bikes.
All the best and have a blast, Paul.