Upgrade fork oil
Busa Guru's
I want to change the OEM fork oil for something a bit heavier
What weight would be a good start and what height's?
A Mates dad is going to do the work but needs height's (not sure myself how this makes a difference)
Any help would be awesomePi_thumbsup
Her job is to Bitch!
Mine is to give her reasonYes

VERITAS...SANGUINEM ET HONOREM
(05-09-2014, 02:23pm)Corpsedealer Wrote: Busa Guru's
I want to change the OEM fork oil for something a bit heavier
What weight would be a good start and what height's?
A Mates dad is going to do the work but needs height's (not sure myself how this makes a difference)
Any help would be awesomePi_thumbsup

What are you trying to achieve by going to heavier oil?
I would stick to an oil with the same spec as Suzuki reccomend. I used Motorex 5W.
Different Brands of the same weight actually have different specs so it is not as easy as just grabbing any brand in the weight you think you need!
I wouldn't go any higher than 7.5W, l would be more inclined to go a bit lighter 0W or 2.5W.
Better off replacing springs to suit you weight then look at valving.
I'd second Mozzie here. Stick with the original spec oil viscosity. Heavier oil without re-valving will affect the compression and rebound damping and if you live in the area when it gets cold in the mornings the bike will feel like it has no suspension at all untill the oil warms up.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Sound advice thanks Ile get it changed for the same weight. At what height should the oil be set to.
Ive found that on the shit roads around Kal the front end gets sloppy after riding for a while. I figured that the oil might be foaming/airating or a bit to thin for the type of roads I'm playing on.
Her job is to Bitch!

(08-09-2014, 10:08am)Corpsedealer Wrote: Sound advice thanks Ile get it changed for the same weight. At what height should the oil be set to.
Ive found that on the shit roads around Kal the front end gets sloppy after riding for a while. I figured that the oil might be foaming/airating or a bit to thin for the type of roads I'm playing on.

The standard OEM level is 95 mm. I'd go for 85 if your springs are a bit tired to give some more air cushioning. Just make sure there is no air trapped under the piston when measuring the level and it is also a good practice to accurately measure how much you put into each tube to make sure they are both the same and then re-check the level.
If the front gets "sloppy" after a bumpy ride it is because the oil gets hot and thins out a bit. However that should be not much of an issue if you maintain oil change intervals. Most people just forget about it. I'd say two years of bumpy riding is long enough for an oil change.
The manual for Gen 2 says 532ml per side as a guide but it should measured from the top of the fork tube with it fully compressed with the oil 95mm from the top. Make sure you pump all the air out of the cartridge and let it settle for 5-10 min after you have no more air bubbles coming out and recheck. I use a vernier to set the level and use a syringe to suck the excess out. Just follow the instructions in the Suzuki workshop manual.

(08-09-2014, 11:11am)Shifu Wrote: The standard OEM level is 95 mm. I'd go for 85 if your springs are a bit tired to give some more air cushioning. Just make sure there is no air trapped under the piston when measuring the level and it is also a good practice to accurately measure how much you put into each tube to make sure they are both the same and then re-check the level.
If the front gets "sloppy" after a bumpy ride it is because the oil gets hot and thins out a bit. However that should be not much of an issue if you maintain oil change intervals. Most people just forget about it. I'd say two years of bumpy riding is long enough for an oil change.

Wouldn't the oil level need to be lower with a greater gap to get more air cushioning?
All the info I could find recommended slightly less oil per side say 105mm down from the top of the fork leg. But just kept mine at the standard Suzuki level. Just don't put any more oil than what Suzuki recommend.

Wouldn't the oil level need to be lower with a greater gap to get more air cushioning?
All the info I could find recommended slightly less oil per side say 105mm down from the top of the fork leg. But just kept mine at the standard Suzuki level. Just don't put any more oil than what Suzuki recommend.
[/quote]

Nope, the oil level is measured from the top of the tube and you need a highier level - more oil in the fork leg so the distance to the top of the fork tube is less (like I suggested 85 mm instead of 95 mm).
Your thinking makes sense only untill you try to follow it up further to see how it affects the operation of the shock. More air in it does not increase the cusioning but decreases it as there is less oil to compress it for a given stroke.
And you can put more oil in the shock quite safely. It is a standard method to stop the shocks bottoming out under heavy braking. In Ohlins for example you can adjust the oil lever by 100 mm. It will give you 160N of air spring at minimum level and well over 500N of air spring at maximum level. Of course the adjustment range on a Busa fork is much less but the principles are exactly the same.
Yep compression clearance in your forks works the same as in your cylinder, your effectively increasing your compression ratio by moving the level from 95 to 85 ,
not going to affect level road performance much but on hard braking and big bumps it will not bottom out as easily
Thanks for the help guysPi_thumbsup
She is in the at the mates getting the oil changed as i work. so she should be good to pick up when I get home in a week.

I'm just changing oil for the moment then will go back to get the best adjustment befor going further. Thought about what you said and decided baby steps. As I'm only 56kg and dont ride hard with the missus on the back I figured that this should be the best course of actionBiker
Her job is to Bitch!