Edge of the Angel
Hi guys. I have an angel on the rear and I was just wondering how far you can push it before it will let go? My sissy marks are at The edge of the tread (10mm from the edge) right now but when I am leaning that hard and lightly powering out of a corner it seems to be a bit loose in the rear end. Do you think that this is a rear suspension setup issue or the tire?
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
You asking for a lot of guessing and opnions. The only true answer lies in experimenting. No tire, even of the worst kind, just lets go suddenly unless there is some other factor involved like gravel, pothole, water or fuel/oil on a road. All that is assuming that your suspension is set up correctly starting with correct spring rate for your weight but that's a basic for any riding at all anyway so there is no point to discuss it here. It starts with a little sideways moves that you can easily feel and control. On a clean dry asphalt at 25 deg + you can get any tire right to the edge safely and easily. Though it feels a bit Scary on a 60 profile at first they do not slide that easily. Find yourself a nice corner with a good visibility ahead on a quite road. Make sure it is clean and do few runs through progressively and SLOWLY increasing the speed with a steady roll on throttle. You will get to the edge long before you will feel any sliding. When it starts to slide you have only a margin left, size of which depends on a type of tyre. With a track tyres is fairly substantial, with a road tyres is much less. Then it is only up to you when to stop.
Oh, proper riding gear is a must.

PS. It can feel like sliding out of the corner when you are getting on the gas for three reasons
1 to soft spring at the rear
2 not enogh compression damping
3 to shallow swingarm angle (which is a result of your soft spring really) - the lowering links often mess the correct suspension geometry
The rear basically sinks down giving you feeling like the tire is sliding.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Ok thanks mate. So I'm 6ft 4" and weigh in at 110kg's. I'm assuming that my rear suspension setup is stock? Do I just wind up my spring rate and increase dampening or is there some proven rider weight to spring tension/dampening formula around?
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
we all wish it was that easy LOL

best is to try it 1 step at a time...

adjust dampener by 2 clicks and take for a ride.. if better great if worse set it back to normal and take it 2 click the other way

then try springs the same way....

I was lucky, local Suzi dealer has a magic mechanic that KNOWS the busa and set up my 99 an now my 13
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Ok thanks for the tip Batty. Pi_thumbsup
Of course it's started raining here nowFrown so I might have to put the test and adjust thing off until tomorrow.

(20-10-2014, 11:52am)Shifu Wrote: Oh, proper riding gear is a must.

Mate my Dainese is like American Express. I don't leave home without it....
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
(20-10-2014, 12:10pm)shorty Wrote: Ok thanks mate. So I'm 6ft 4" and weigh in at 110kg's. I'm assuming that my rear suspension setup is stock? Do I just wind up my spring rate and increase dampening or is there some proven rider weight to spring tension/dampening formula around?

The stock springs on Gen 2 is way too soft both front & rear even for a 85 kg rider. You can see, that just by trying to set correct suspension sag, you will run out of preload and comression dampening is there not to fix weak springs. I would suggest visit to a suspension shop and get correct springs for your weight installed as a first step. They will have reference tables and will know which ones you need.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
Shorty, FYI, Im 6 foot 10 inches Tall and currently about 160kg, currently in my K9 Im running Ohlins Cartriges which are reasonably well sprung to me in my Forks, and Ohlins Rear once again resprung and revalved to suit me.
Ive spent a few $$ on Suspension as its IMO more important than Horsepower, (Smooth is Fast if you know what I mean).

If you have time, check out "A Twist of the Wrist 2" on You Tube, you should find it interesting.
Use some sandpaper on your rear to make the chicken strip 2mm or so...safest way IMO
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(21-10-2014, 09:55am)Troopmaster Wrote: Shorty, FYI, Im 6 foot 10 inches Tall and currently about 160kg, currently in my K9 Im running Ohlins Cartriges which are reasonably well sprung to me in my Forks, and Ohlins Rear once again resprung and revalved to suit me.
Ive spent a few $$ on Suspension as its IMO more important than Horsepower, (Smooth is Fast if you know what I mean).

If you have time, check out "A Twist of the Wrist 2" on You Tube, you should find it interesting.

Wow! That was an awesome video!Clap That would make a good sticky post if it hasn't been done already.
I think that my case of instability (apart from the setup) may have just come from rolling it on a little hard through the corner. Entered around 85 exited around 130...
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
"Practice Practice" Shorty, every time you ride think about what your doing and how your doing it.

Watch the movie a few times, each time you will prolly pick something up, or can relate to what the movie is saying, you never stop learning.
I quite often go off for rides by myself on familiar roads and concentrate on my positioning on the road and bike prior to tipping in.

You can very easily get a head full of info from people on Forums and in the end be no better off, (everyone has an opinion and everyone reckons their way is best), just get out there and ride, get smooth and relaxed and as you get more confident do some Susp mods to aide in your riding ease and easier.

"Practice Practice"
That's exactly what I do do mate. This is where....

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=mccarr...sic&dg=brw

This road has some really technical stuff, lots of flip flops and double apexes. Nearly every corner is safety rated at 30-35k
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!