Cranky ignition switch
Hi guys. My ignition switch is starting to get a bit crusty (after a week of wonderful sydney weather) and I was wondering what's the best to get it back to a happy place? Graphite powder, WD40, chain lube etc...
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
A locksmith told me don't use graphite powder and he said to use WD40 as my ignition on my B-King was getting hard to turn on, he said DON'T use CRC.
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.
Was told the same by a locksmith once. He said not to use grahite powder in the ignition as it is conductive and can cause issues.
switch part is separate to the electrics, you can unbolt the electrics from the tumbler section so i would not worry about conductivity
funny but my local locksmith says graphite , but dusty country area that could get dust sticking to any wet surface like crc etc
Ok cool. Thanks guys. I wonder what the difference is between CRC and WD40 to make him say don't use CRC?
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
I'm guessing they were dealers for WD40 and not CRC
The locksmith i went to was not a dealer of WD40 i had to go to supercheap to get that so he wasn't drumming up business for himself, He did say why not to use CRC but once he said don't use it i stopped listening.
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.
The basic difference between CRC and WD40 is that CRC has a small % of penetrate and higher % of lubricant while WD40 is the opposite (larger % penetrate and smaller % lubricant). There might also be a propellant difference too but haven't really checked that. The propellant is what can cause the damage as it's normally a corrosive material for plastics.
so basically the way I see it is like this.....
If you want to put a protective coating on things regularly then CRC it, but if you want to dispel water then WD40 it...
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Also told never to use graphite powder by a locksmith.
Inox for me, seems to do the job well.