Fed up with the insurers...
Just thought I'd send out my thoughts, and perhaps warn others about my recent experiences...

I had the bike damaged 6 weeks ago. Got it towed to Mototec (in Sydney) on the same day (Friday afternoon) and informed the insurer (won't say who because of a possible defamation case, but it starts with Q ) on the Monday. A week later they still hadn't acted on it. I spoke to them and they said they had mailed a claim form to my PO Box address.

A week later there was nothing in the PO Box, so I checked but they maintained they had sent it. I even asked the post office staff to double check... nothing!

Days later I complained and they said they would fax me one on that day. Two days later I rang explaining no fax had arrived, though I had received several other faxes, and they insisted they had sent it.

I eventually got a guy to email me a form (and it took him 2 attempts as he typed the wrong email address the first time)

I completed the form and faxed it back...

A week later I checked with Mototec. They had not heard from the insurer. I rang them and they said the approval would be faxed on that day (oh, no, not the same fax machine!!!)

A week later the approval still hadn't been received.

I rang today and used my angry voice. It worked. They had faxed it 30 minutes later.

Here's the advice: IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING GOING WITH AN INSURER TO SAVE MONEY, THINK TWICE. WHAT YOU SAVE UP FRONT YOU MAY END UP PAYING IN OTHER WAYS...

I'm looking at no bike for 11 weeks:

11 weeks is one fifth of a year. Calculate one fifth of your rego, your insurance, and the added expense of running a car for 11 weeks? It adds up to more than a couple of hundred dollars you might save on a cheaper quote.

So, who knows of any GOOD insurers out there? I'll be looking for a new one soon.

"sometimes, crime does pay"
<i></i>
I am not joking here -

Type up a bill with a fancy letterhead.

Put down the equivalent in insurance you would have paid over that 11 weeks or whatever - deduct a 'rebate' of two weeks reasonable repair time from your toral, also include service charges for phone calls, emails etc that occurred. Also add on cost of renting a car or whatever form of transport as well.

Add GST.

send with a printed address bar on the envelope to their Accounts Department - even better, ring up the insurer and ask to be put through to the accounts payable guy, just get his/her name, hang up, and personally address to this person.

See what happens......

oh, and said registered mail too.
<i></i>
Hi Nick. I did something similar to this when someone ran into the Subaru. Insurer told me I could rent a car and claim back the cost. I rented a cheap Corolla for 3 weeks until the car was ready. Insurer paid for 4 days because they said it "should've only taken that long" and directed me to seek costs from the panel beater... It looked like becoming a legal ordeal and on the advice of my company solicitor (cost-benefit analysis) I took the smaller cheque and let it be...

Unfortunately, if I read the fine print, I can't claim for rental car costs with them... and if they say "sue the repairer" I wouldn't 'cause I like John, and he's not to blame anyway...

I'll think about it though, but will definitely change insurers...
"sometimes, crime does pay"
<i></i>
Pan,
I'd try the invoice as mentioned above and also send them a fax demanding compensation for the delay. On the fax show it cc'd to your company solicitors without actually sending it to them. The fact that they now believe you have started legal action may push them into paying or at least hurrying things along.

When I dropped mine Arista were very fast less than 1 week. The bike shop was my problem.

Good luck with it mate.

Bruce <i></i>