Gen 1 Front Brake Clicking
I have a clicking noise coming from my LH front brake calliper on my Gen 1.
It is with each rotation of the wheel and only on the one side.
It is getting noisier as the pads are wearing down, and the pads are down to about 3 millimetre now so require replacement.
Has anyone come across this before as I can't work out what is causing it.
I have checked disc thickness and they are ok, and I have also checked disc run-out just using a dial indicator and they appear ok as well, though it does have a bit of shudder at stopping speeds....

Whilst on the subject, what are people using for pads for the Gen 1's?
I just want a GP pad, nothing too aggressive....
Thanks Kendo.
I think it's a combination of what you've suggested above and the following.

Found the problem, but not sure what's caused it. The discs have got a bit of wear on them which has left a bit of a lip towards the centre of the disc where the pads don't run. For some reason this lip is slightly oval on the inner side of only one disc. As the disc rotates past this point, it ever so slightly pushes the inner pad outwards and the clicking is the sound of the pad seating tabs for want of a better word lifting and reseating itself in the calliper...time for new discs...
I had a similar issue on my Gen 1. Ended up being wheel bearings
Cheers, Pete� Coolafro
Do not click here
(17-04-2016, 09:09am)Djpete Wrote: I had a similar issue on my Gen 1. Ended up being wheel bearings

Hey Pete, I had the same thing on my Red/Black 99, the previous owner had replaced the front wheel bearings and instead of following the correct procedure pressed the bearings in with no gap which loaded the left side bearing up too much and caused a click on the left side
Ubi est Williams est via

[Image: bd2b8814-b7c2-42c7-8059-0811dae17364.png]
So in both of these cases the bearings were making the noise?
Mines definitely the pad.
I can isolate exactly when it lifts and watch as it sits down again with a click.
I picked up a set of carbon ceramic pads for a song.
I'll look at getting new discs soon.
I think he meant the bearings being out have caused the wheel and thus the the disc to run unevenly and wear unevenly.

I fitted EBC Sintered pads to my Gen 2 and they were far better than the original ones both in feedback and stopping power
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
I'm going through this now and after reading this it seems I may have a sticky caliper as my front brakes are stuck on and can't move the bike. After bleeding the left side, I moved on to the right side but as I was doing that, I could hearn or what sounded like, fluid getting pushed through the left caliper.
Will try scrubbing it today and see if that helps. Thanks guys. Just about gave up and because it pissed me off so much was just gonna buy a gen 2 front end and be done with it. Ha ha!
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
Yes it still does it. Gonna overhaul my brake calipers.