Dealer Mode
O.K. I have just put my bike back together after cleaning all the fuel system filters and screens after it began to run rough abd rich.

Now I notice it still has a rough idle but i believe its running lean now as it doesn't smell rich any more.

I had the bike remapped about 5000 km ago to suit the remus bolt on cans, however the remap may have just compensated for richness due to high fuel pressure....unknown to me at the time.

Therefore now that the fuel pressure is normal it is infact running lean. All sounds very logical so far.

But.... when I run the engine in dealer mode idle quality improves and increases by about 300 rpm.... why?

The ECM has no way of controlling idle so what is happening?

Does the ECM run on the standard map when in dealer mode?

Does the ECM set to a base inginition timing value when in dealer mode and then actually retard timing when out of dealer mode??

Is there any way to reset the map back to factory without the yoshi box?

Further more... I'm a bit pissed at the fuel system on my 99 busa and would like to know more about the changes to the '01 busa and if retro fits are possible. Maybe a recall would be in order....

Ardvark

<i></i>
Everything you said is true (except the bit about a recall). When in dealer mode the ignition is set at a more advanced figure. If you can do without your clock you will gain about 4 hp at high revs by leaving it in dealer mode.
The ECU can be reset to zero if it is disconnected for two weeks or so. A capacitor must discharge and this takes some time.
The most expensive part of converting to 2001 fuel system specs is in buying the fuel tank and pump. I 've looked into it as I really want to run the 750Y throttle bodies on mine and need the 2001 tank to do it. Unless you are REALLY good friends with a wrecker it is not worth it. <i></i>
G'day Dickwad,

4 hp, sorry mate but I'm yet to see that from bridging out the dealer mode connector. I've tried that on every busa put on the dyno.

Yes I'll agree it made a difference to your's, but I'm yet to find another that responds the same way.

Regards Colin Linney (whizfuck)
<i></i>
However you will loose any HP gains from remapping because the ecm reverts back to standard map when in dealer mode... right??? <i></i>
Wrong <i></i>
Therefore the ecm does not in fact run on the standard map in dealer mode. <i></i>
The ECU will run on whatever correct factor has been written in whether in dealer mode or not. <i></i>
Just discovered another reason not to convert to 2001 fuel pump. The fuel filter has a RRP of $380. <i></i>
Replace the filter with an old hanky....

Serious question: I heard that in dealer mode, the odometer does not operate. Is this true? The source of this rumour (a conspiracy theorist, to boot) claimed that dealers put it in dealer mode, then take the bikes out for extensive and excessive runs. While not a subscriber to this theory, I was curious if dealer mode stops the odometer from recording k's. <i></i>
Dealer mode does not affect the speedo/tacho operation but what a good idea.
The Suzuki marine ECUs do log engine speed and time. This can be accessed only via a special tool. I am living for the day that the bikes have the same feature. It will certainly make diagnosis more accurate. <i></i>