Subframe - Get Even
My subframe failed with standard exhausts within warranty - but no support from Suzuki.

NRMA - defect engineer is going to photograph the subframe and lodge a reprt with the Transport Safety Bureau. Apparaently the more the better = petty but who cares

Dealer has subsequently agreed to provide all labour without cost to install an interim replacement, while mine is modified and repaired and then reinstall it.. <i></i>
G'day,

This subframe issue is a real worry. I bought my 01 'Bus on the understanding that the frame issue had been sorted.

As yours has failed within the warranty period I now presume that the frame thingy is not sorted. Bugger.

Even worse is the apparent attitude of Suzuki. I hope this does not happen to me as I will be seriously pissed with the dealer and the maker.

Can't say I would be happy with a repaired unit but I guess it may be stronger, more rigid than the original.

Hope your 'Bus gets well soon.

David Ip <i></i>
There are still plenty of 2000 models that are well within warranty period (mine for example) and my understanding is that the strengthened frame didn't start until the 2001 models.

Locobus, what model is your Busa? <i></i>
It is a 2000 series.... I would say if mine has failed then anyones subjected to extensive use with pillions or wheelies etc then there is little hope... <i></i>
Stuttering in here, too, hey loco?

Are you going to get them to fit a bracket at the same time as doing the repair? <i></i>
I have been accessing the U.S.A. Bussa webpage and it seems the problem is worldwide.
They say that Suzuki did a recall in Europe, and the Poms have a sale of Goods Act which is deeming this a Structural failure and making Suzuki responsible.
My bike is a 99 model with only 1500 ks but am becoming paranoid about frame. Maybe the N.R.M.A. report is what is needed. Is there any way we can determine the number of bikes that fall into this risk category ? Would be happy to put my name to a group complaint. Also own a G.S.X.R 1000. <i></i>
Hey all,

I actually just discovered this club after going to the Suzuki site to find a "contact us" option to ask Suzuki for a replacement sub frame.

I'm stunned at the response to Locobus situation from Suzuki and would suggest that you get your arse to Department of Fair Trading... has it resolved yet? (just realised that it was a month ago that you originally posted) I'm not so lucky to have warranty protection as I bought my 99 second hand about a year ago so DFT aren't going to be any help.

For anyone who's interested, the problem affects all 99-00 bikes and was fixed in the 2001 model by replacing the alloy subframe with a steel subframe (if yours is black, then you're okay).

Reports of breakage have been made in US, EU and AU and some lucky punters o/s have managed to cajole their local dealers into replacing the sub-frame pre-breakage (which is what I'm about to attempt locally). Suzuki has not conducted a recall in ANY country that I am aware of.

If you want to ride with risk, then do nothing, but if you're like me and want to make it as safe as possible then you can:

1. Buy a new subframe and install it yourself (somewhere in the vicinity of $1500).
2. Buy and install a TTS sub-frame brace (not sure if anyone stocks them locally, but you can get them at www.tts-performance.co.uk/tts.shtml )
3. Try an angle overstitch weld across the top rail mount frame running back towards the rear of the bike for a couple of inches (this will definitely screw your chances on warranty)
4. Take action against Suzuki demanding a replacement in order to assure you of safety.

If you have an alloy sub frame and you have a 4:2:1 exhaust, you should NOT ignore this problem. The replacement of the dual exhaust weakens the structural integrity of the sub frame and increases the torsional stress on the known break points. What's more, with a 4:2:1 exhaust fitted, the subframe is more likely to drop and hit the rear tyre in the event of a failure, whereas the dual will provide support to reduce the likelihood of this occurring.

Please keep the pressure on Suzuki and keep this thread alive until we are all satisfied.

Stay shiny side up and good luck. <i></i>
Another "99 bronze Busa subframe bites the dust. I'm not as gentle as some may be but does this mean I have to fork out big dollars to remedy an obviously factory fault.!!!!!!! Have supported Suzuki for a long time with good bikes but they have lost a lot of ground on this one to as many people as I can speak to. :"> :"> :"> <i></i>
Let me know how you go James - I have a '99 model with a 4-2-1 full yoshi system on it and am now rather worried about punting around the hills with the young lady on the back.

Adrian <i></i>
hi all,
got a '01 busa so my rear sub-frame is okay, but i dropped my bike and the left corner of my front sub frame (where the left mirror bolts onto the fairing) is pushed in about 10mm. The repairer did a great job of the fairings but was unable to straighten out the frame, and subsequently, the fairings just don't line up perfectly.

Does anyone know of anywhere in melbourne that can repair it (with some degree of precision) or should i just fork out the $410 and replace it with a new one? <i></i>
Peter,you could try Bob Martin engineering in Ferntree Gully.Ask for Ted and tell him RocketRod sent you. <i></i>
Give bob martin a go if you want to straighten the top bracket just be aware the fairing may crack under stress if it's not almost perfectly straight. You should be able to get a straight top bracket from a wrecker for around $200 or you could try ebay if you're prepared to wait for it to arrive from the states. I've seen them go for around US$75... <i></i>
I feel for ya dude.

My XX rear subframe bent to the point that the left hand can is dented. Honda did something that has stopped it contacting but head office has failed to call back about doing something about the scatched swing arm or dented can.

I'm going to vote with my money and buy another brand. Top of the list is a Busa. <i></i>
The UK has a 'sale of goods act' that states that the item sold must be fit to do the job it is meant to do. This is why UK busas riders are able to get a subframe replaced pre-breakage. It's the only place in the world were a group of busas owners has had any joy on this, and that's because of the law forcing Suzuki's hand.

When I bought my bike here secondhand, the small print said that Action didn't have to supply a warranty on bikes over two years old with more than 30,000km. Mine had 30,800. The rule is different for cars and other mileage etc... But there is some sort of law similar to sale of goods act in UK, because when my bike broke down within the three months they fixed it for free when I brought this up.

One of their workers had mentioned something about 3 months and goods being up to the job in Aussie law.

I have a '00 with 4-2-1 yosh, but I never carry a pillion, luggage or do wheelies. I check it regularly. So far, so good. <i></i>
Does anyone know if subframe bracket can be purchased locally? <i></i>