clogged fuel filters
Does anyone suffer from this problem. About every 10,000kms I need to get the fuel filters on my 99 busa replaced. According to the Suzuki mechanic the problem is mainly on the return side, and the bike is effectively flooding. I'm careful where I buy petrol and have changed my 'home' station 3 times since the problem.
When the problem presents itself it is a real pain in the arse. The bike stalls on backoff, when coasting, and after acceleration. It's very embarrassing to pass someone on the freeway only to stop 100 further on trying to restart the bike. Wait 30 seconds and it starts again.
After the filters have been replaced the bike runs fantastic, but this is a very expensive exercise as I clock 10,000 km about every 2 months. I've had the filters replaced about 6 times now so it's getting very expensive. The last time it happened the fuel lines were also replaced and the tank flushed, but that was just before Christmas and what do you know?
The tank hasn't been raised since the last service so the fuel lines shouldn't have gotten kinked.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Since there is a large filter on the inlet can I lose the return one?
Is this just a normal '99 Busa trait?
Should I try running it on diesel?(I'm runnin' out of options)

Hope you can shed some light,

WARD
<i></i>
G'day,

I am no expert but my 01 'Bus runs much better when I avoid Optimax.

If you use the Shell product try the Mobil or Caltex products which definitely make nmy bike smoother and a more comfortable ride.

Might be my imagination but you never know!

Poh <i></i>
g'day Ward,

Mine didnt have any probs.what fuel you using? try not filliing up near where you live, fill up on the PAC highway , the mobil after teh freeway or the one furthur down on the other side.
are you sure its teh filters? haved you had a look at them?

not a good idea to lose the filter, you wanto keep the fuel as kleen as possible, otherwise you will be cleaning injectors!

Jes

<i></i>
g'day Ward,

Would be interested as to where you are. I've had shops telling me of their fuel problems all over NSW.

You may have had the fuel pump filter replaced but was the system cleaned including the pump?

One area in northen NSW has had problems with Briggs& Stratton motors detonating on the current fuel, so all I can think of is a local fuel problem.

Will be interested to see your comments Ward.

Regards Col <i></i>
Thanks for the comments.

I live on the Central coast and commute to Sydney each day.

I usually fill up at the BP at Tuggarah, or the Mobil at Turramurra as both are big/busy stations.

The last really nasty incident did happen after a tank full of Optimax, and the bike felt especially sluggish low down during this time(could be my imagination - especially after reading Col's fuel/dyno report)

The last two days the bike has been behaving itself much better after a couple of tankfuls of the Mobil.(It's only stalled twice on backoffs)

thanks,

WARD <i></i>
They may have changed the high pressure filter but are they cleaning the strainer beneath the pressure regulator. Dying on decel is a rich mixture symptom and only this strainer can cause a rich mixture. <i></i>
This issue has been discussed in great detail on other sites and seems to affect mostly 99 Busa's and my own.

Essentially it is the filter screen below the fuel regulator blocking up and increasing fuel pressure resulting in rich running.

Many have installed filters and so on but I beleive you could do more harm than good and cause other issues such as vapour locks in your fuel system.

I have opted to simply clean the regulator screen every time I change my oil (5000KM). I replaced the phillips head bolts with hex socket head bolts for easier removal. However I have also opened the pump and cleaned the filter screens inside it also a couple of times.

Hope this helps..
Cheers
Ardvark <i></i>
You might be interested to know that several of us at 200mph in the UK, are and have been running without any filters in the pump or injectors for 12000miles plus. The tank petcock is the only one in, NONE have had any problems. <i></i>
mayte,
i reakon we'd last 2 days without filters....
our fuel supply is pretty ordinary!!

JEs
<i></i>
Just had my 99 main & return filter's attended to @ 24000 km's. The main had a fair amount of crud in the form of discolouration visible after cutting the old one in half. The return was much worse & required a good clean out. Interestingly enough there were no symptoms at all.

Have used Optimax from 10500km. <i></i>
Ward - I take it from your post "I need to get the fuel filters on my 99 busa replaced" that the work is being done at the stealership or at a shop.

If not & you are doing it yourself, have you looked at the filters and screens closely to see what type of deposits are accumulating? (upper and lower) The 99 model is notorious for dropping copper from the pump... yes the PUMP not from the fuel. There aren't a hell of a lot of work arounds except to replace the pump with a 2000 model or, keep cleaning the screens and replacing the filter as required.

Oh and Ardvark is spot on about replacing the screws on the pump with hex bolts, you'll probably strip 'em on the disassemble anyway ;o) <i></i>
i have the same probs with my 99 as well and its driving me mad and broke? any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
i have had the fuel filters replaced and on the way home from having this done it started cutting out again?
anyone managed to fix this? <i></i>
Who replaced the filters? How many filters did they check? Take the bike to someone who knows what they're doing, and let them diagnose if your problem really is fuel delivery related. Very common issue. <i></i>
sunstate suzuki in maroochydore replaced filters,
1st time they did it it helped this time it hasnt ?
thx for response this issue is seriously making me want to trade in the beast <i></i>
If you log on to www.hayabusa.org - U.S. Clubpage.and go to boards, there is an article in the modification section listed as fuel filter change.
It specifically deals with 99 models and gives diagramatic pics. as well as listing of parts used to solve problem.
Dont know if it works but worth a try, I am not very mech.minded ( old chippie ) but own a 99 and would like to know if this helps. <i></i>