Indicator Needles
I'm having a bit of a fiddle with the gauge cluster and am wondering if anyone has removed their indicator needles, (specifically tacho), if so how??? Does the needle have to be indexed, or is it keyed onto the shaft?? Any advice appreciated............

I,m trying not to ride it at present for obvious reasons!!

.............Graeme. <i></i>
I have no answers, but have one question - Why? <i></i>
I want to see if I can fit "My Brand New Gear Pos'n Indicator"- thanks again Slong-,inside the cluster housing between the Sp/Tach, there's not much room so I need to get it completely apart..............Graeme!

Probably a better answer to why is that if I f*ck it up I can prolly get another one <i></i>
Use two spoons on either side of the centre dial, and lever up.

Slong has a description from when he changed his lights to blue. Look back a bit for blue guages.
Peter Altas
BUSA-1<i></i>
They aren't keyed!
Well, I don't know of a 'safe' way to remove and re-attach them, some ppl say leaving the needles against the stopper but there's tension still so it doesn't work.
The only real problem is getting the speedo right.
The Fuel gauge is easy, just look at where it is when the light comes on or how high it goes when U fill up and adjust as needed.
Temp is easy too - see how high it gets till fan comes on - mines just under halfway, and re-adjust as needed.
The Tacho, well I knew roundabout where mine 'stumbles' and you've also got the vibey part that you can measure against. I haven't bothered re-adjusting the tacho, it's like 200RPM out or thereabouts.

The Speedo - as I've mentioned I was lucky enough to have a kind bloke run a radar against me after I had run it against the g/f's car to get a rough idea. Worked sweet. Haven't ever been able to get picked up by those radars over the Hume/Western. If they are reliable for you it might be an idea [if you have them in Queensland]

All that aside, I don't know how you're going to fit the LED inside the gauge cluster.
There's a circuit board which is pretty much the same size/shape as the surround. There is *some* room between the gauges, but considering how much a cluster costs, I personally wouldn't risk it. It also means hacking some holes, I think.

I'm mounting the LED on the small triangle of plastic right under the front of the screen, just above the gauges and building like a little roof over it when I find some suitable black plastic - so I can see it properly.

The page with the info and pics I did is here:

The page

-jon- <i></i>
Thanks Peter, found the info after a bit of searching.

Jon, I'm planning to move each needle to its first step, mark the pos'n on the guage face with bluetac then remove. As you stated there is stepper motor tension against each needle when against the min stop post. I reckon there will be enough room between the guages just, have opened the space with a drill then soldering iron, have also filed a fair amount of the figreglass/bakelite off the display pod(carefully), the prob I have at present is getting the right colour L.E.D.s, I am looking for the indiglo blue/green, but the blue L.E.D.s are too blue, and the green too green,(combination maybe),I also want red (1 of I think) under the tach red line. I havn't yet cut through the carbon fibre look face panel, this will be fairly critical as this will be the part you see. Re mounting it further forward, I'm too tall to see under the screen, and I refuse to put on a double bubble screen, why buy the fastest prod bike on the planet and then bolt a headwind to it to make it not the fastest??? (will possibly be a few who disagree) .
When I get around to wiring it in I will seek your advice on the 12v supply source and the use of O.E.M. connectors, specifically Part Numbers.

Mate you are a huge help with this stuff thanks
Graeme.
<i></i>
I've more too add, but I need to be awake.

What I really want to say is make sure U have SOME BENCHMARK FOR YOUR SPEED!
At least run it against your wifes car @ 100 Ks or something.

Don't just mark it, because as you will see even best intentions won't always get it right! At least if you get it wrong you have something to adjust it to!

I hated not knowing how fast I was actually going, what with these revenue boxes all over our vic roads.

JUST DO IT!!!

Hope it's going all well and that I'm not too late. will add more later.

cheers,
-j- <i></i>