Wave discs... other discs... best stopping
Since you are so adamant that they are no better and just for looks, why don't you call him and ask him yourself. (03) 9364 8993 <i></i>
I could call numerous distributors and guess what? does anyone believe they would say anything but what they have been told or mislead with inappropriate information, Or for that matter what they presume to be correct.

Can only argue with facts and hard data not with what people think or feel to be better.

<i></i>
As braking relies purely on converting kinetic energy to heat energy the key to efficient braking relies on the ability of the brakes to dissipate the heat that is generated. Roughly speaking or in layman's terms the wave rotor allows much more air to circulate across the friction surfaces. As each wave of the rotor passes thru the pads it allows air to flow across these friction surfaces, where as a conventional rotor once the pads are applied to the rotor, doesn't allow air to circulate across the friction surfaces...............in effect this provides more air to carry away the heat ie which equates to better heat dissipation which in turn = more efficient brakes due to less heat build up = less brake fade (due to heat build up) = less chance of warping disc's due to excessive heat build up. Then you have the quality of the materials used in the rotors also coming into play.......but then thats another story also.
Are they more efficient ................sure are, especially for repeated long and heavy applications such as race conditions.
Now just to add a bit of extra useless information here ...........it may be a spin out to know that for the initial application of braking, drum brakes are better than disc as in more bite when first applied ................... but due to the fact that they cannot dissipate the heat like disc's can, brake fade results very quickly once used over and over as heat build up takes it's effect. Layman's terms again.................if you can't get rid of the heat, you have no brakes.
Just a guess..............I guess !!
FF1 <i></i>
That drum brake story is an old wives tale... like saying daddy-long-leg spiders are the most poisonous, or that the picnic at hanging rock saga is a true story. As you said ff1, it all depends on heat dissipation, AND effective friction area (ie pressure and area of contact, materials .....)

The wave brakes do cool quicker, coz of the increased surface area as mentioned by ff1, BUT, if you don't heat up your normal brake rotors enough to use this feature, then the wave brakes won't be better for you, they will be worse! (sought of along the lines of the drum brake fallicy, only this time it's true ) -385-
XOCET<i></i>
Read the post again there Resac ...............don't mention anything about more surface area ..........surface area has nothing to do with why the wave rotors are more efficient at dispersing heat. In fact they have less surface area than a normal rotor.
Now as for heating up the brake rotors or not as to if one would use the advantage of them, I guess if your going to fit them to punce around as in pose value then no advantage, if your going to fit them because you actually "RIDE" hard then go for it, especially considering they are cheaper than the Suzuki disc at $500.00 retail.
As for old wives tails ................how can one say this politely ..............
FF1 <i></i>
Quote:Can only argue with facts and hard data not with what people think or feel to be better.

So where are your facts and hard data Gazza to base your earlier statement that they are no better and just for looks?

FF1- Good stuff. <i></i>
Some points on Surface Area

1. Wave discs have a larger surface area in contact with the atmosphere, as opposed to contact with the brake pad, and, seeing as the atmosphere is generally cooler than a brake pad (when in operation) heat dissipates at a faster rate than would otherwise be expected (ie. than a standard rotor).

2. All things being equal (ie. pressure, material, etc.) the larger the surface area of a brake pad/shoe in contact with a braking surface (such as a rotor) the more effective the braking will be (ie. to maintain pressure over a larger area, you must have a larger force, P=F/A).

As far as puting things politely, why? I was mostly agreeing with you.

ps, I eat laws of phyics for breakfast -385-
XOCET<i></i>
ARH #uck it I'l just get a set of cutters and make mine wave rotors. <i></i>
Nice one FF1.
Think I'll just ponce around till the originals need replacing.
We all know that the standard items are below standard. And for those out there that didn't know this. Get off your arse and start riding!
Cheers, Phil. "Your wave rotors are dead sexy"! <i></i>
so who's gonna sell me a set of wave rotors?? missed some in the TP at a bargain price a few weeks ago... <i></i>
Just replaced my rear disc with an after market job. Not wave, but more holes drilled in. Looks and feels more sunstantial too. Don't replace anything with oem if there's better out there. HH disc and braided lines added as well will be more than enough for 9.9999999999999% of people on this board.

Stop pretending you're a bunch of Rossies. It'd take WD 40 on your disc before most of us noticed that there's a difference in performance. We ride on the street for Ch*ist's sakes - it's hardly seat of your pants on the edge stuff commuting to work is it?

Suspension this, tyre type that. It Reminds me of all those guys on Ducati 996s riding down the high street role playing being Fogarty. <i></i>
Have I missed the popcorn?
<i></i>
(I'll see if I can get you eating that popcorn yet Jon )

Rossi fair enough , but who wants to be compared to a second rate hasbeen mutiple WSC and IOM winner, aka Carl 'just read my bollocks autobiography' Fogarty?? He lacked the balls to play with the big boys ...just ask Neil 'about to get my ass whipped' Hodgson <i></i>
Ding.........................................................
<i></i>
It was Chapel Street <i></i>