'99 Fuel pump + filters
After 5 yrs I reckon I will have to address this fuel pump screens and filters. Not that Ive had any probs, but they could be slowly getting clogged. Pearl had hers recently totally stuffed - re-built by Ron I believe. But she aint fussy about her fuels so am not suprised.

So whos had any experience with a/m items? did you dis-assemble and clean. what about this upgrade on the pump introduced from 2000 models I believe. Rev, youd know a bit about these rascals no doubt also by being an avid 99er? <i></i>
You have done well to get five years out of a 99 pump. You must look after it. Two things you can do. Clean the filters on the 99 pump and wait for it to die or go and get a low mile 2000 pump assembly, clean the filters and swap it over. <i></i>
Isnt the 99 fuel pump external and then was transfered to inside the tank on the later models?So if this is the case,wouldnt you need to buy the later model tank as well?If this was the case then it wouldnt be worth it i think! <i></i>
No Rod, the 2000 is also an external pump. 2001 onwards had the internal pump. <i></i>
Well well, the old 99 fuel pump rears it's ugly head again

Basically, if you've got no symptoms leave it alone as it's covered by the dealer service schedule & we all get our services done by the dealer don't we ?

But if you feel you really must tinker, it's a job that requires some skill with the spanners & this is where reputable mechanics earn their bread & butter. Pete & Ron will sort this stuff out quick smart if you don't feel up to it yourself

The pump itself has 3 filters within the body, pressure, return, & pressure regulator. The regulator filter is the main culprit as it is only 10mm or so in diameter & clogs more easily. I've also seen my return filter completely blocked as well & if you pull the pump off, fit an inline filter at the same time, problem solved. <i></i>
I recently got the dreaded FI warning light when I tried to fire up my '00 machine after a few weeks absence. Shorted out the service socket and got back a 'C41' - fuel pump...!!!

S$25 for a truck to the garage and S$600 [Yes! six fuckin' hundred] for a new fuel pump and fitting. Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh.....

The mechanics reckon that the pumps are succeptible to burn out if the fuel gets low and you get the odd bit of air sucked in causing excessive spin rates. Not been really guilty of that as I had some problems in the first couple of months from new when the fuel gauge was playing up - the damage may have been done then but, after running dry a couple of times with no warning when hammering through traffic, I have always kept the tank topped up!

Only consolation is that it's been the only problem in four years.

JAG <i></i>
Hey Rev
Am I missing something here. I have the workshop manual on CD and can only find two filters in the instructions. The large paper filter and a small wire mesh filter. Which ones are these as you have described them.
I wait with baited breath.
Thanks
WTFWT<i></i>
I was looking at my compliance plate yesterday and it states 12/99 build date.Does this mean it has the dodgy 99 fuel pump or the 00 good one,and how do you tell the difference between them??????? "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, ciggie in one
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp hand, favourite drink in the other, body thoroughly used up,
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Totally worn out, and screaming 'WOW... What a ride!'"
<i></i>
Some one told me the later model ones are inside the tank ????
fiik <i></i>
Shorty : The pump body itself has two filters, one is the main disposable cartridge type, the other is a plastic gauze screen which is located at the opposite end to the cartridge filter inside the pump body.

It's hard to remove as it has a large O ring seal. You could clean it in situ by using carby cleaner & blowing it out with shop air.

The third filter is only visible after removing the fuel pressure regulator from the pump body. It's a brass mesh cup type filter about 1 (one) cm in diameter.
The injectors have last chance filters as well although I haven't had any trouble with these.

The later pumps are inside the tank, 01 onwards I think.
Sorry Rocket yours is the older one bolted to the back of the cylinder block like mine <i></i>
Ps there is also one inside the tank mine was pretty clogged up , the ones in the injectors i had replaced with car ones as Suzuki said they don't have any replacement filters for them you have to buy the whole injector.:">
Cheers Rob <i></i>