Air Filter Q
A 'busa rider showed up at the Road Warrior Cafe today - one I've spoken to before. He trundled over and asked me to ask yee most knowledgeable bretheren this simple question.

If you change your air filter to a K&N and don't make any other adjustments/changes could that be the cause of him losing a roll-on at 100k/ph to a ZX12 - something thats never happened to him before.

Errr.... now I'm no mechanical genius... but my guess was... err... yup. Seems to me it'll be breathing easier so the air:fuel ratio will be stuffed up. He said it seems to have less urge all around. Apart from the K&N the bike is standard and he's made no other changes.

I know I've never been married to anyone on this board, so I feel confident in asking "Was I right ?"

His second question was about clutch issues on hard take-offs which I know I've read about here so I'll go research it myself (if it's not been lost). Regards.... Rob (Astro)<i></i>
Folks on gixxer.com have flow benched K&N's against stock OEM filter and guess which flowed better across a variety of pressure differentials??? <i></i>
I get plenty surge with BMC red. Thats the BTL (Back Torque Limiter) astro, needs to be welded up. <i></i>
The ZX12 rider may have picked up his game a little, stock a 12 has a little more power than a Busa and can be quicker in a short blast , The Busa shines in the topend where its more aerodynamic shape makes more difference than a couple of hp. <i></i>
Agreed Maj, I've had a few 2nd gear roll ons with guys on ZX12's from 100ks onwards to about the 240 to 250 mark. Not much in it till 240 +. All running stock gearing.
ZX12 is a much better handling bike IMO but not as comfortable. Non the less a great bike. <i></i>
Astro,
I have recently fitted a K&N with my Staintune cans (without baffles ROD) and find that it screams in every situation. No flat spots and much better than the old standard setup.
Also no power commander or adjustments to tuning.
Fuel consumption is virtually the same as previous.
I am due for a service in about 3 thousand ks and will get my mate to reballance the injectors. But I don't think it needs any adjustment.
Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
Fit a 43 toother & NO-ONE will out grunt you

balance injectors ?

do you mean the throttle body synchronisation ? (that can make a difference) I checked mine recently & they were out a bit, 1 inch Hg, highest to lowest. (low k bike too). <i></i>
Yeah Rev That's what I mean.
They were done at 50,000 by Hilton Steel at Graham Morris Motorcycles in Newcastle and made a big difference to the smoothness and a slight improvement to the fuel consumption.
Some may remember Hilton from his many attempts at winning a Castrol 6 HOUR race back in the 70's.
Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
Thanks guys... I'll pass it on Regards.... Rob (Astro)<i></i>