Busa Batteries
hey guys its about time for me to buy another battery 2 yrs old and its had it so the question is do i stick to the same brand or are there better ones out there Regards Bill

As long as my heart pumps and my Busa thumps I am a happy Man
jeez 2yrs? mine is almost 5yrs and still original and tho appeared to cough its last breath about a year ago, a good charge has kept its resurrection. but when change is due I'll only go for same original YT12A-BS or might consider YTZ14S which has a higher CCA tho more expensive - this battery was made for Hondas ST1300, same dimensions except 5mm higher which is no prob am told.

OEM Batt; www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.asp?bID=B10&vID=3934
Thanx Volvi as you said a good charge should have fixed the prob and I thought a good 3 hr ride one way should be enuff but if I let my bike sit for a week the thing just wont start and I can't turn that damn light off to save power to start it either I appreciate your advice thanx again Regards Bill

I was about to buy a new battery, and would have opted for the Honda ST 1300 Yuasa (around $300 though), but then I read a thread over at SH.ORG.

Maintenance free battery is a myth unless it's a gel battery. The advice there was to top it up with distilled water and give a damn good rogering of a charge.

Sure enough my battery needed topping up. I keep it on a battery tender at the end of the day, (doesn't need that much), and it's doing a fine job again. It's over four years old and isn't as good as a new battery, but the top up and battery tender are doing a sterling job until I can mortgage $300 for a Yuasa YTZ 14S (recommended particularly if you have any accessories).

Two years? Give that F*ck#+ a kick before you part with your hard fought for dough. A good battery tender can be got for as low as $60.
G'day
I replaced my battery t'other day because twice it didn't crank fast enough to fire up, but then it did for two days while I thought about it and ordered a new Yuasa replacement. Some of the thoughts:
Batteries are service items. Replaced at regular intervals.
Sometimes batteries last 2 years, sometimes 4 years.
Design people put a lot of time into designing the appropriate battery.
While quality does not always equal top dollar, sometimes you get what you pay for.
Now that I don't have a kick start (remember them?) and the system needs a bit of electricity to get fuel going, a reliable battery is very important. Underline reliable. If you have to put it on a tender every day it is not reliable.
Anyway, all my opinion only.
:-)
Regards
Kevin
If something needs replacing, replace it - I'm with you there. Unfortunately the guys who tell you when something needs replacing (the manufacturers) have a vested interest in getting you to fork out your hard earn cash before time, again and again.

The amount of mechanics I know who are going around with things that they need to keep an eye on, but function 'normally' anyway. If I'm going to Melbourne, I'll get a new battery just in case, but this one is doing a commuting job well within it's last legs. It's probably helathier than many batteries on bikes I pass everyday.

Even before I topped it up and bought a battery tender, I'd only notice it giving me a warning once a month, so it'll do for now. Why pay out money before time? Premium petrol, 1000km Pirelli tyres, KN air filters etc.. etc... surely none of it makes sense. I'm on $15,000 a year, mate, so I watch the pennies.
Just my 2cents worth.

Has anyone tried Solar Power Battery Recharges for bikes?

You just plug it up when you get home. They are about $35 from Dick Smith.
I too nearly replaced my battery about a year ago. 3 or 4 times in one fortnight, the entire instrument panel would reset during start-up - clock, resetabble odometres. I didn't get around to it for a couple of weeks, and by then it was starting fine every time. Hasn't missed a beat since then. Almost 5 years old.
yep Demeester thats what mine was doing i go and try to start her and not enuff power to fire up so all my electrics go haywire bloody clock stop and all just a shame that the odometer doesnt reset itself i would have a new bike every time i started it Regards Bill