Cancelled Rego
I received a letter today from the RTA dated the 15th telling me that my bike rego has been suspended as of the 15th and will be cancelled on the 29th. The reason for the suspension and pending cancellation is that my bike numberplates had been handed back to the RTA by persons other than the registered owner.

I called the RTA and informed them that the numberplates were still firmly affixed to my bike and that they must have made a mistake. I was told that my plates had definately been handed in and unless I attended an rta office with proof that I still had the plates in my possession then cancellation would occur on the 29th. I told the moron from the RTA that I was working on site and could not take the time off work to fix their mistake. I told him that I could not get time off till Monday and asked if he could suspend the cancellation till then, the answer - no.

Thats when I lost my cool, be f****d if I'm going to drop everything and help fix their mistake, I asked him what is involved in having the cancellation lifted Monday when I attend the RTA office and prove I still have the plates. HE said my plates would have to be surrended and new plates issued, that If I wanted my plates back I would have to pay for re-issue and possibly wait 2 years until they were cleared for re-release. All reregistration costs are to be paid by me.

How f*&^ing rediculous. So I am riding an unregistered vehicle till Monday.

Bruce

Thats good any fines won't go to you because the plates have been canceled, you can run a muck
toss the letter away, you don't know jack shit remember
i think you may have just missed a golden opportunity my friend. Cheers Robert
Hi Bruce. A good solicitor will have a field-day with this. Could get you a fair bit of pay-back by taking action against the RTA.

Does anyone know a good solicitor? Maybe that guy that defends bike riders? He's nomrlaly got ads in the Cycle Torque (free) magazine. It may be worth giving him a ring...
"sometimes, crime does pay"
What a wanker ! I have experienced similar stupidity, I now stop mid sentence and demand to speak with with supervisors when morons enter the equation. I believe there are State ombudsman who monitor gov organisations for complaints just like yours, maybe a phone call to them may resolve it.......
I'm riding the bike anyway, I've paid my rego so will be interesting to see what happens between now and Monday if I get pulled over. Also if there was another set of plates out there I wonder how many tickets and parking fines may be comming my way. Come to think of it that speed camera that got me the other day may not have been really me on my bike, LOL

Bruce
Hmmmm,sounds like the same fuckwits as vicroads!:">
Pan, you can't take action against the RTA, they own the plates at law, even personalised plates. You just buy the right to display them. But if bruce was to booked for unregistered m/vehicle in the mean time, any solicitor will easily defend this matter, as it is a typical bureaucratic bungle.

Your right Rod, same dickhead in our VicRoads, probably the same response from them, if they f*** up as well. Which they do, all the time.

Good Luck next week Bruce, if you don't get any response from the dickhead at the counter, it is your right to speak to the branch manager or team leader.

Stewie Mac
G'day Bruce,
You're probably right about a stuff up at their end.
I had two cars with concurrent plates. I sold one and transferred the rego and then I got the same letter that you did for the other one.
I took my car up to the local rego office with both copies of the old rego papers and they fixed it on the spot with no argument but I did get an apology.
Mark Steinberg is the solicitor mentioned above and he is in Sydney I think.
Rgds BUSGO
Took the bike, rego papers and drivers licence into the RTA today and dealt with a lady at the desk who actually spoke english!!

Showed her the letter detailing suspension and cancellation and she could not have been more helpful. My rego is reinstated without cost, I keep my current plates and she even apologised for the fuckup.

I was amazed to find someone there who had some common sence. Restored my faith in the RTA. Well almost.

Bruce
I would have SPED all year! vvvvvvvvroom! Yeah, baby!