Synthetic oil
I remember a posting a while back in which Col commented that he noticed some strange wear characteristics in engines using Synthetic,
has any further evidence of this shown up in Busa motors?
The reason I ask is I have tried the stuff in a previous service my Busa had, and Synth definately helps the gearbox to change real smoothly, however, I don`t want to sacrifice engine longevity for smooth gear changes.
Col in what areas would you think extra wear could occur?
any thoughts would be of interest

Brian
Brian,
By Bus' has 27Ks on it now and I've always used synthetic. I actually raised this question at the dyno day at Col's. He I think recommended mineral oil. I have had good results and am not at this stage aware of any unusual wear characteristics. I do though change the oil and filter regularly, as soon as it changes colour, so this may have some bearing on things. One point, If I remember right, the first change to synthetic was done twice to ensure the oil cooler was flushed fully. I have heard opinions from both extremes and really don't know which is best.
The synthetic is 'bloody expensive' and that should be taken into consideration as well.
Anyway, I have no effin idea what I'm talkin about so I'll defer to Col' for the proper info'.
Cheers
Frost'
G'day Guys,

Mineral V's Synthetic, it will always be a issue. We have companies selling both types and both have their merits.

Contary to what Peter Brock has said on national TV, there a few rocks and dirt in mineral oils. That involves quality assurance and all oil companies to my knowledge comply with a quality standard.

Synthetic oils can give you a power advantage, however, it may only be 1 or 2 Hp at best. Can you really feel that? I think not. It maybe usefull at the race track where every last ounce of power is important and long livity of the motor is not as important as it is with a street ridden bikes.

Synthetics tend to make the clutch a bit soggy, in other words it will slip more esp. on engagement, this sometimes makes the gearbox feel better, where in fact it's the clutch that makes it feel that way.

I've seen cam journals flogged out and valve buckets pitted, clutches stuffed due to slippage and oil filters full of teflon.

In my opinion synthetic oil is only that, synthetic. Use the real stuff, I do.

Thats my opinion from seeing the insides of hundreds of motors.

Regards Col