Ouch!
OZBUSA,
Do you live in Tamworth???....you lucky bastard!? (well the fact that you are almost on the Oxley)
If I were you I'd be doing that run to Port Mcquarie every weekend at least. Do you ever stop over at Gingers Creek? What a paradise that place is. Also you don't have to preach to me about the handling capabilities of the bus. But if your bus turns into the corners as good/better than a 996 under the conditions mentioned (3-10,000 2nd gear HARD on the brakes between corners) I would suggest that some tweaking of the duke was in hand!. I am only stating the obvious. Like if you and your buddy on the 996 leave Tamworth and go north east? on the Oxley.....how long do you have to wait for him at Gingers Creek? 1/2 hour or so??. Do you ever bump into a mate of mine from Port Mcquarie "Guesty", he used to punt a puss box pantah from Port to Gingers and back regularly. I don't think many would get past him on that road.
Have fun on my favorite road........I will be back.
Rocketman,

Yes I do live in Tamworth and it's not all country music. I have access to some of the best roads in the country, including the Oxley Highway. I'm a shift worker and do most of my riding mid-week when there are less tourists and cops on the road.

I probably didn't make it clear in my earlier post that my mate on the 996 is a shit hot rider and his bike needs no tweaking. He's beaten me on that road on a BMW 650 twin against both of my Laverda's. It's just that the Busa has gotten me closer to him on that road than any other bike I have owned. I doubt that I will ever beat him on that road regardless of bike. As regards the cornering, the Busa tips into the turn a lot quicker than any 996 ever will. The 996 needs a big heave to turn in, but once leaned over it shits on the Busa, and most other bikes from my experience. As to driving out of the corner, I don't care what anyone says about the dukes drive, there's nothing like nailing the throttle on a Busa at 7000 rpm. I lose all my time to him on braking and mid-corner speed.

Yes, you are right that there are a lot more appropriate bikes for that road, but I get my buzz from demonstrating to other riders just how nimble the Busa can be. Most riders that havn't ridden a Busa think that it's only fast in a straight line. I like to disprove that. I doubt that many riders tell their friends that they were beaten by a Busa on a windy road, but it can be done. And as for the road west of Gingers Creek, your dead right. I don't think that there is a vehicle on the planet that could beat a Busa through to Walcha/Bendemeer.

I stop at Gingers Creek both ways on the trip. The scenery, food and attitude to motorcyclists is the best. I would recommend it to anyone. The visitors log has some very ammusing bike related stories.

I havn't met your mate from Port Macquarie, however I hope to meet you on the Oxley Highway soon. Black/Grey Busa with tankbag. Where do ya live?

Ever ridden a 916/996 rocketman? Sounds like you haven't. In the hands of a competent rider they may be quicker then a Busa, on that road, but I'd bet most would be quicker on the easier to ride Busa. 916/996's may be a good thing on a race track, but in the real world they are an over weight, under powered marketing exercise. A standard GSXR750Y was over half a second a lap faster around Phillip Island then a $40,000 SP996. Don't get me wrong, a Busa ain't no sports bike, but they sure as hell put the wind up alot of so called sports bikes. And the Ducati? If you can get passed the fact that they look, (STILL, 6 years after being released) and sound sensational, thet aren't all that impressive when stacked up against R1's, Wiper Blades, GSXR's etc. Especially not for that sort of cash.
Hey Fox -

Just to be different, how about a Veradero?
Gawd Richard ... & here's me thinking MV Agusta F5!
GSXR1000...g'day. Who is comparing buses & dukes? sure there are lots of sports bikes out there that are heaps better than the 996...I have a couple of them in my shed. I don't own a duke, I leave that to my more well heeled friends.

I was just elaborating on the quote from OZBUSA:
"Moral of the story: Don't chase a 996 Duke up the Oxley Highway from Port McQuarie
through the 25 - 35 kph bends and expect to stay upright trying keeping it in sight"

OZBUSA..g'day to you too. Unfortunately I am on the wrong side of the country at the moment but I will be back!! I would like to move up that way (Port McQuarie) myself, one day when Iv'e made my fortune. Then I can ride the Oxley and surrounding roads regularly. Just keep it rubber side down on that road.
Hi there,
If you are insured, the policy is as follows;
if the fairing is scratched, they will re-spray it. If it has cracks through it, they will replace it. Pipes will be replaced.

By the way, if they re-spray it, there is a long waiting period!
If you get the fairing replaced, not so long.

Mototech, can give you pricing on a re-spray, these guys are top in their field as they have sprayd GP Bikes for the riders when in Australia.
Phone:02 9725 5600

Take care.

Marc

Moral is, then, if it is insurance claim, make sure that when you dropped it, you crack it...

Actually, on my last bike, they wanted to plastic weld the cracks in the fairing instead of replacing.
Your Morals regarding cracks is correct.

Small cracks, and the insurance people will push for repairs.
Large cracks, and they will replace.

If the bike is less than 1 years old and has cracks, then it will be and should be automatically replaced.

cheers.

Marc
I think I might get a set of Yoshis out of this - apparently you can put whatever you like on if you pay the extra cost(if there is any). As the pipe (s) have to be replaced anyway.
Ive been enjoying the discussion lads re the Oxley, busas and dukes. Im actually going up to Gingers Creek pub with a touring club (Clubman Tourers, for you Sydney riders that like the occasional organised ride) the weekend after next. This is my first time to the Oxley, and the postings Ive been reading confirm what Ive already heard - that it's great bike country.
Any tips as to which parts of the highway you like, and what is the situation with the boys in blue?
bye, fenda
Correct you are.

Standard Pipes are priced in the quote for approx $1,500.
You can then ask the service manager of your prefered bike centre, to fit any aftermarket pipe for the same price stated in the quote. Or you can opt for a more expensive system, and pay the difference,but definately worth it!

This request to have after market pipes fitted is always fine with Insurance compaines, at times they are not even aware of the change as the service centre receives a cheque and then simply fixes the bike.

In other cases, the service manager will inform the insurance company of the changes, and as long as there is no extra cost from the insurance companies pockests, they will not mind.

cheers,

Marc

PS...

I forgot to mention, if only one pipe is damaged it might be tough to replace both for a four into one. But, if you are keen on slip on's and they are cheaper than the original then fine.

cheers,

Marc
Yeah, thanks Marc. I had a friend who had twin yoshi slip-ons and they sounded great.

There is a silver lining to the crash after all as the Yoshis are about the same price as the OEMs ..

Not a problem.

I recently fitted a four into 1 Stainless Yoshi with K&N filter and re-maped it. Sounds great and the power seems to be endless in any rev range.

When down gearing and riding at dawn or at night, blue flames spit out of each backfire. Sounds great. (Trying to some mates to take photos of the flames while following in a car.

Im sure slip on's will sound great, and look very neat.

PS.. If your looking at having better handling than standard, I droped both tripple clamps by 4mm and hardend the back end by 2mm. I weigh 80Kgs.

The busa flips from side to side much easier than standard, it handles great at Eastern Creek and along the Old Road. Will be replacing back shock with Ohlins soon and front forks with Ohlins springs. Should be a neat little package.

Cheers.