cracked frame
Just a word of warning to all. During a routine service I found that my sub frame was cracked.
I nearly always ride 1 up and I'm not all that hefty (90kg)

I've done roughly 50,000 km.

Although the bike is now out of warranty Suzuki have replaced it for me.

Ward
Do you run a set of pipes?

Do you have a luggage rack?

I have a look at mine every now and then because I often ride with pillion... however I don't have a luggage rack.

I have read that some pipes can load the subframe considerably.

Ardvark
I believe that the argument with pipes is not that they load the frame, but that a single pipe takes away the support that two pipes provide. i.e with only one pipe, a pillion climbing on and off who uses the pillion pegs to hoist themselves up actually causes the back end of the bike to "twist" and this flexing does not occur to the same extent with a two pipe set up (and here we were thinking the bike should support the pipes...)
Thats interesting... I hadn't considered the twisting forces at play. Think I might get the girl friend in future to run and jump on....... like we were robbing a bank or something...lol

Ardvark
My wife climbs on and off using the rider pegs, not the pillion pegs, but I have seen pillions using the back pegs and if they are heavy enough, the twist can be quite pronounced!
I'm still running the standard pipes, but I do have a luggage rack. I'll keep in mind getting the pillion to mount up using the riders footpegs.
I also was using the rack as a handle when lifting and shifting the back of the bike in the garage to make room for the car. This may put some twist in the frame so I'll stop doing that now.

Thanks for the advice,

WARD

suzuki should still replace it free of charge.
it is not really a warrantee item.
like a simi recall safety item.
thats why they have steel ones now.
although i have never seen one crack i have heard of the problem
Ward I would suggest that you contact TTS performance in England and get some frame braces sent over.It takes about ten days to deliver to Australia and cost around $110.They are a good fit as I have fitted a set to my Hayabusa.They say they increase the subframe strenght by about 30%.
You can find there web site in the links section of the club.
regards
Busa
This maybe late in the discussion for a basic question, but exactly where do you look on the frame for the cracks?
I've had some serious weight on mine and reading the above, I'd just like to check.
Thanks guys.
Steve...
Frosty,
If you remove the Riders seat, you will see either side of the ECU, the top Aluminium tubes of the Rear Subframe,
on them are welded Aluminium Lugs which are in turn bolted to the Main Chassis, they are bolted level with the Battery terminals on either side
the break seems to occur on the Left side first,
right where the Lug and Tube are welded.

When failure occurs on that side then all the load is shifted across to the Right side
which of course fails also, because it is now taking all the load.
I have Photo`s of a failed Subframe,
If you want I can email them to you
contact me on my email address below and I will send them to you

Brian ability2@nw.com.au
OhzOne, I would appreciate it if youcould e-mail the photos to me at Z1.900@bigpond.com. I ride one up 95% but would like to have a look anyway.
regards - Jim
Thanks for the clear note Brian, I removed the seat and rear fibreglass piece then had a good look where you mentioned. All looks fine.
What worried me was that more than once I've had the wife on the back as well as a ventura pack, totally full of all kinds of shit. I must be lucky, hope it stays that way.
Cheers mate and tks....
Steve M...
hey guys

in case you missed it, there was quite a bit of coverage on this topic back on our page 8 - check it out,,

cheers
les