Hong Kong motorbikes ?
G'day all, sorry I missed the July ride after giving some suggestions, but I've been in Hong Kong/Singapore for a bit over 2 weeks! (Jeez, it's taken me an hour to catch up on all the topics you guys have been writing!)

Hong Kong is a place where the Busa wouldn't even get out of 3rd gear!! The biggest bike I saw there was an old Yamaha 750cc, and its tyres were square form commuting. An RS-250 or NSR-250 would be enough. The cops ride CB-250's, and are decked out with all the gear like the Aussie cops, panniers and all. Even tho there are a few freeways, there are still cameras, and buses and taxis change lanes without warning - Trust Me. Thought about hiring a scooter while over there, but dismissed that idea soon. The city is just full of scooters - literally. You don't see bike shops, just scooter shops!!!! And over in the country of Macau - every Business man/woman and their dogs ride scooters - counted over 300 parked scooters in a parking quandrant!!

Trying to remeber the stats of an aquaintance over there, his scooter worth $1500 costs him $750 or so in rego per year, and 3rd party insurance is something like $600, with fully comp being $3000. UNREAL?! The public transport system is so effecient over there that there is almost no need for a vehicle. Buses come along everywhere, and you just swipe an Octopus card. Some of the richer people have new Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Porsche's driving around which is very cool - they know how to look good, but don't know if they know how to really drive them!!??!!

So, where did you guys end up travelling on your July ride?? Town names, etc.

Cheers, Peter
Yeah, Asia seems to be over run with em. There are a million scooters registerd in Taipei City alone. They line every street as far as the eye can see & when they get bent badly in daily crashes, they just dump em on the side of the road & get another one !

Taiwanese families can usually fit mum,dad, & 2-3 kids no prob's at all & street vendors can fit a complete gas fired barby on the back to sell boiled pig's guts to the yokels !
Best I saw was in Thailand. Mum on front, Dad on rear of seat with three kids of varied sizes squashed between them and a TINY newborn baby strapped to the headlight in a sarong.

We figured they thought they probably should have stopped at three.

HEIDI xxx