Exhaust Can Drips?
I've noticed when I park the bike after going for a ride, that the ground underneath where the can bolts onto the pipes, there is a couple drops of 'something'. I tried to smell it on my finger, but didn't smell like petrol or anything. It does it on both pipes. Is this normal?
I took the cans off a few weeks ago to clean them up properly and might have to tighten them up a bit, they seemed sealed ok.

Any ideas as to what these couple of drips are? it stops after 1 or 2.
I've also noticed a buzzy noise at certain powerout ranges, sounds like its from 1 can.
-jon-
Jon,

there are weep holes on the bottom side of the cans just up from the bolton point. Mine drips a bit during warm up or after washing it, but not after riding. The question may be though, does your's drip only after a short ride (condensation dripping that has not yet evaporated) or does it always happen even when fully hot and after a decent ride (???). To that I have no answer, sorry.

Goldie
(Whoops, from memory, having now typed al this, you don't have the standard cans, do you?).
You're right SubRX, I don't have the standard cans, I've got some Remus bolt-ons/slipons, U've got a good memory.

It drips even after a 40min ride, which I'd consider long enough to get rid of any condensation. There don't appear to be any 'weep' holes in these, I know what you're talking about, had them on my last bike. I'll have to inspect them closer and tighten them I think.

Question: Between the Can and the pipe is like a washer/thick gasket type thing, I'm guessing thats supposed to seal it, is there anything I should put on it/do to it when I bolt it all back together?

-jon-
Does it have colour or is it clear?
If you seal the cans properly, where will it go? It would run back to the lowest point in the system.
Hope its not oil.
No its not oil, thats for sure. : )))
Its clear, and doesn't smell.
I don't think I'm going to be too worried about it unles anyones got some bad news.

On another note hopped on my cruiser and took it for a ride.. Man what a wierd, wierd experience. Feels like I've never ridden it before.

crazy.
-jon-
Sounds like the genuine gasket is still fitted. Most aftermarket mufflers dont use them, instead sealing with some silicone & the flush fit to the standard mounting plate. If this is the case, & the genuine gasket is still fitted, the muffler surface may be damaged, hence the leak.
Ok, I inspected the 'leak' more closely and its actually coming from the bottom of the steel band that is riveted [?] around the bottom-end of the can. Theres a gap where the two ends of the band meet up and it seems to come from that.

I'm figuring it's nothing to worry about.

Also I payed [is paid/payed the same?] more attention to the vibration and its that well known 4700RPM vibes.
A strange sound it is.

Relief though.

Cheers,
-jon-
[Oh, and what a beautiful weekend it was up N.E. Vic. bar the 2 + 1/2 hours riding back in the rain this morning. yuk]