Keeping bike, how to store???
Ok, I've accepted my fate - not much riding for the next 12 months.

I've also decided to keep the bike till then, it works out better for me financially. Plus I just love the f*cking thing - I can sit on it and dream of riding, making vrroom vroom sounds, just like when i was a kid [although on a Honda AG 110 ]

So... I'm keeping the bike, I imagine I'll still take it out once a week/fortnight for a ride 'around the block' - to keep things working. I would totally prefer to NOT drain the oil/fuel etc etc. Is once a fortnight enough to look after the engine/fuel tank + whatever else I should be concerned about?

By a 'ride-around-the-block' I mean that, literally, maybe 'up-the-street-a-bit' and hopefully not as far as 'f***-it-lets-go-for-a-ride'. I don't want to get done for riding without licence.

I've never had a car/bike just sit around mostly unused so I've not much of an idea apart from what I've read on similar forums/boards.

What should I be doing to look after the Busa?

Thanks,
-jon-
Only gave mine a run every 4 to 6 weeks when I lost my licence. I'm sure you could trust someone to take it for a sedate ride to keep the battery charged etc.... If you can't give me a call. (Seriously!) Don't drian the fluids etc, keep it running. Just my 2c worth.
Until we meet again, take care.
Phil.
Jon, you should at least buy a fuel stabiliser and put into the tank as unleaded only has a shelf life of about 3 months. Also your engine oil shold be changed after 6 months because of oxidisation from alloy engine casings because its just sitting. When you run the bike make sure you get it up to operating temp. The last thing is to keep the tyres off the con crete floor...Put a rug or something under the tyres. Good luck with it......
Jon, as said fuel would be your biggest killer of your engine! You should try to keep a full tank to not allow condensation to form in your tank, thus RUSTING UP! Fuel is cold, thus moist dark environment, thus.....ugly!! AND, old fuel would cause pinging in the cylinders when you fire it up, if fuel is over 3 months old, or lying stagnant for a while. THUS, pinging destroys pistons and rings, and develops Blow-by!!

So, my advice is to keep tank full, run bike to full operating temperature with revving to 2/3 revs at very short intervals once warm, and putting a little SLICK 50 oil treatment in oil sump as to allow oil to stick to metal engine block. Maybe drain fuel tank for the lawnmower every 3 months and refill with new??!!

Maybe, I should just give you some of this new AVGAS and hear your bike scream in agony to get out on the road! Also, putting some fuel treatment, or a little bit of leaded petrol in your tank wouldnt hurt as lead is a lubriant in fuel.

Cheers, Peter
Good on ya Jon, glad you decided to keep the bike. Good decision I reckon.

Can't add to those tips though.
Jon, pleased to 'hear' you are keeping the bike (yeah I'm a bit slow). I've sold bikes for many reasons- my 'busa is my 34th, but I've always regretted selling a bike and then having to buy another one from scratch at a later date. As one of the guys suggested you would be better off (that is the bike would be better off) if someone could give it a spin every week or so. This obviates the storage hassles and would keep the bike in tip top condition for when you return to the road in your Rehabilitated Form.
Denis.