Blade blast
Disclaimer: I am not experienced at writing about or comparing bikes, and have little experience on bikes other than those I have owned....

Rode the new FireBlade at Phillip Island last Thurs. Impressions: Nice torquey and flickable. It certainly has equivalent/greater power than the last ZX9 I rode (6 months ago). Very nimble for a 900. Cant compare it to other bikes, like R-1, as haven't riden them. Nimbler than my busa. I wasn't impressed by the looks - very standard looking bike. Not too comfortable (a bit of a cushion inside the square blocky seat wouldn't go astray). The digital speedo with the analog tacho does not really "work" as I like to see the needle going up through the k's as well as the revs. I ain't trading, but I am not a "twisties" rider, and this would certainly suit such a rider.
I hear the Suzuki SV 650 V twin is heaps of fun too ... good middle bike ..
Email
p.s. Bob and Stuart were both there, too. Would be interested to see their opinions... guys??
Aparently the SV650 is known as the babybusa. Rode with the combined forces motorcycle gang on the weekend. Didn't they get a surprise when I took off the helmet!
You sure get out there Heidi!

Didn't know about the Baby Busa tag - kinda looking for something light, cheap and fun to throw around the city - Steve from Action said it's a real hoot.
Email
We certainly were blessed with a day out of the 'book' for this. No wind and fine weather at the Island! I had a couple of sessions on the Blade and it proved incredibly nimble and quick. The brakes stunned me the most, easy to get it squirming with the back wheel chirping off the ground into Honda - and felt controlled doing it. Lighter steering than the Bus, and able to see 225kph on the clock. Great fun on a track but it's looks and seat don't really appeal to me and the Bus moved just as quick (albeit very weighty to stop) with the slower steering giving the feel of stability more than lack of response. As I don't ride on the road anything like on the track, I will always see the Bus as the first choice for weekend rides. Now, if I had regular access to a track I may have a different opinion.