A Current Affair tonight!
You are a VERY good looking forensic psychiatrist Pan, I love it when you get that serious 'I'm a grown up' face on.

HEIDi xxx
All I've been hearing this morning on the radio is "we need more gun control"...
Violin

Didn't we learn from Port Arthur?

I guess that's what the media want to hear and create... more controversy.
pan Wrote:All I've been hearing this morning on the radio is "we need more gun control"...
Violin

Didn't we learn from Port Arthur?

I guess that's what the media want to hear and create... more controversy.

its funny that Canada has more guns per capita than the states, yet they dont have any problems......

the problem is quite obvious....

Jes
jessie928 Wrote:its funny that Canada has more guns per capita than the states, yet they dont have any problems......

Jes

Yes, the culture and psychology is a huge factor, if not the biggest factor, in these things, and Canada obviously has it more stable and sane ... unfortunately, I see our culture is becoming more American, not more Canadian ...
The Wild Wind Wrote:
jessie928 Wrote:its funny that Canada has more guns per capita than the states, yet they dont have any problems......

Jes

Yes, the culture and psychology is a huge factor, if not the biggest factor, in these things, and Canada obviously has it more stable and sane ... unfortunately, I see our culture is becoming more American, not more Canadian ...

damn straight!
People that live in fear do unimaginable things
people that feel safe, are alot safer :)

Jes
kawasuki Wrote:Do any of the members know how long it takes to get a handgun Lic.?
Well it would be around 6 months before u get your hands on your own gun. I went to the range for 12 weeks after joining the club and doing a 2 night safety course, in those 12 weeks u are graded by the range officer,u have to pass all the required safety tests, after u have satisfied the club captain that u are qualified(character etc.) to have a lic. they will issue u the paper work so u can apply to the police for your Lic.after that a permit to aquire a firearm. Then the police will check your records etc in that time, which takes approx 4-6weeks then after that u can purchase a handgun and that will take another 4-6 weeks(after the cooling off period) . So there is a fair bit to do and a fair cost involved getting a handgun Lic.
Club fees $400 per year
Lic $100
Your gun $1500
U have to do at least 8 shoots a year at your club to keep your Lic.
and u have to sign in with club number ,and that goes to the Gun registy each year, if u dont do these shoots u will loose your gun.
I could be corrected in the above,its been a long time since i got my Lic.
Also forgot the safe storage(safe dyno bolted to wall and floor) and it has to be inspected by the police and signed off by them.

its still a rediculous wait for a pistol license. i was going to get one this year but decided againts it. its too much hassle. up here last i checked i think you had to do a shoot per calibre per month. but that may vary from club to club. a lot of hassle just to have a weapon on standby for that od occasion when we decide to flip out and start mass mudering..........
Quote:a lot of hassle just to have a weapon on standby for that od occasion when we decide to flip out and start mass mudering..........

Or just drive a semi into a bar or 20 litres of petrol in a dance club, Look there is so much a nutter can do without being caught,it will be the same till the day the world ends.
I game online with my PC - one of the biggest that I play is called "Planetside" (www.planetside.com - lots of ex army guys & GIRLS!)

Anyway - I generally game with mates in the USA - one night we got in to talking about the difference between here & the states - topics of guns come up.

I in short explain how hard it is to get a gun here - how we can't have good paintballing here & airsoft guns are outlawed :( - they laugh & tell me what guns they have sitting right at their PC's! one had a friggen 12g shotty at his PC!!

Why? Because everyone else has one there!

He went on to tell me that while he was living in Washington state he shot a dude at his front door (Can't remember the whole story) but he called the cops - they rocked up, told him "next" time to pull the body in to the house a bit - coz when he shot the guy he fell out of the house. The law there states that you can kill'em if they are in your house.....

Now when you hear that stuff from the states - from people living there - then you hear this stuff on the news.... seriously - is it a surprise?

Also - and I stand by this since I lived in NYC & Jersey city for a few months - you CAN NOT compare our country & the use of guns here in Australia to the friggen USA! Our gun control is unreal as it is - even at the cost to the fun side of it all :(

I personally think any dick that compares Aussie land to the USA for gun issues needs their head checked because simply in the states - its your right to defend yourself & your house with any force you deem needed.... even if it is a AK47 or a friggen M160! THE END