A hole in my side - help me (ok - might be a bt dramatic)
Undecided

Hello, well here goes my first call for help. The new bus that I have bought (new for me, 99 copper), has a small hole drilled on the right hand side fairing towards the bottom, behind the bottom screw holding the fairing in place (see pic) My original 99 did not have this, but I saw another 99 this morning with the same thing and the bloke didn't have a clue (about the bolt that is)? I haven't a clue what it is for, and was wondering if anyone does? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks one and all - great forum!
A
hey mate, not sure if its standard on the 99 or not but on my K6 there is a bracket that goes across the bottom of the two fairings (inside them) and is held together by a fairing bolt on either side where that hole is.
Got a centre stand?
Rearmost bottom fairing is removed for centre stand fitment and this could be it...
Dont panic  nothing to worry about.
It was an upgrade on all models after 99 there should be a hole on the left side fairing as well to mate up to it . There's a bit of flat plate steel that goes between the two sides to help brace the underneath
of the fairing.
If you have a matching hole the other side then someone has drilled the hole's & hasnt put the bracket back in.
BUT
If theres only 1 hole my guess is that the bike has been down & a replacement panel has been purchased from a newer model & resprayed.

shane  
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
Yes I'd say it is for the cross brace at the bottom of the fairing too.
My bike has the holes but no bracket.
There are no other signs that my bike has ever been crashed except for these two holes in the fairing that the 99 model is not supposed to have.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
OK, well looks like that clears that little query up (bugger), and I bet it would cost a fortune to get an original fairing without the hole! It only has one side with a hole, so I suspect that at some stage it has had a later model replacement panel put on it (oh well, hopefully the head doesn't have an unexplainable hole in it as well).

Thanks for your time, appreciate it.

A
Hi Achilles. I actually bought that bracket one time, but didn't put it on because mine's a 99 and doesn't have the holes. I still have it somewhere if you want it... (free). You may just have to drill another hole to match!
pan Wrote:Hi Achilles. I actually bought that bracket one time, but didn't put it on because mine's a 99 and doesn't have the holes. I still have it somewhere if you want it... (free). You may just have to drill another hole to match!

Wow, that would be absolutely awesome, thank you so much ( I feel like this isn;t just a great place to seek help, it's better than a therapists couch). I will shoot you an email if that is OK, and organise it (thanks again!!!)
A
99 no hole see pic, brace appeared on 00 model. The brace keeps the fairing located correctly, without it, my fairing spreads slightly at the bottom but can be fixed with a small piece of aluminium and a couple of screws.

[Image: 99redbusaSmall.jpg]

:ausflag:
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
I'll look in the shed for it Achilles!
I know it's there, it's just a matter of finding it!

Where are ya at?
pan Wrote:I'll look in the shed for it Achilles!
I know it's there, it's just a matter of finding it!

Where are ya at?

Hey, thanks again. I am in Cairns, so at least you now, if you ever want to take the bike for a quick 2000k trip, you'll have a place to stay. my email address is suasive@mac.com. I sent you an email also (but still getting the hang of how things work).
Quote:I bet it would cost a fortune to get an original fairing

yeh i just got some new pannels about $840 for side so it looks like drill hole other side is best option.Pi_thumbsup
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
I'd be guessing that all the fairing panels made after a certain date had the holes regardless of colour bike and early model bikes with replacement panels could still have factory paint if they were replacement panels.
I have also never noticed any problems by not having the bracket on.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
I know its off topic but all this talk about holes and I'm getting horny.
Is this normal or do I need counselling...
again.
DjPete Wrote:I know its off topic but all this talk about holes and I'm getting horny.
Is this normal or do I need counselling...
again.

no pete just stay away from the cat this time
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com