New v Old discussion board
How would you suggest we stop it Bruce? by asking or by censoring the posts?

Max:aussieHayabusa:aussie
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
A simple acknowledgment by members that a subject should stick to the subject and accept that a bit of banter goes a long way.

A lot of banter is a conversation and should be elsewhere is simple enough.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
The board started because in '99 it was the first time this bike had been seen. No-one knew what tyres to use, how to service it or how to get those damn black pin things out of the farining without busting half of them. That's why the we came together. I still remember discussions about how cool the busa was for a pillion.

We are now 8 years on, and everyone knows how to service them, to push the centre of the pins and stop a pillion falling off when you accelerate too hard, so those topics come up less and less (unless a newbie turns up and asks about which oil to use). The new bike related topics include turboing them, drag racing and the '08. Apart from that, there is conversation and bullshit. As there are less original questions, there is more bullshit I think it comes with the territory. SURE I think some people are dreadful thread highjackers (I've done it myself - but usually to try and defuse something).

I have no answer, I just think it is stupid to attack each other of what I THINK (JUST ME) is a fairly trivial thing. I don't read the whole site, I drop in and see what Pan, Simmo and Astro are up to, see if anything interesting is happening in the Sydney drag scene and that's about it. The hijacking doesn't worry me but the agro does.
I'm not a hijacker?
pink pantys 4 every one .see you in hell bitches
wise words

Heidi1 Wrote:The board started because in '99 it was the first time this bike had been seen. No-one knew what tyres to use, how to service it or how to get those damn black pin things out of the farining without busting half of them. That's why the we came together. I still remember discussions about how cool the busa was for a pillion.

We are now 8 years on, and everyone knows how to service them, to push the centre of the pins and stop a pillion falling off when you accelerate too hard, so those topics come up less and less (unless a newbie turns up and asks about which oil to use). The new bike related topics include turboing them, drag racing and the '08. Apart from that, there is conversation and bullshit. As there are less original questions, there is more bullshit I think it comes with the territory. SURE I think some people are dreadful thread highjackers (I've done it myself - but usually to try and defuse something).

I have no answer, I just think it is stupid to attack each other of what I THINK (JUST ME) is a fairly trivial thing. I don't read the whole site, I drop in and see what Pan, Simmo and Astro are up to, see if anything interesting is happening in the Sydney drag scene and that's about it. The hijacking doesn't worry me but the agro does.
Madmax Wrote:How would you suggest we stop it Bruce? by asking or by censoring the posts?

Max:aussieHayabusa:aussie

Max I suggest that the moderators send them a P/M asking them to pull their head in. I'm surprised you didnt suggest we shoot the bastardsPi_tongue
Yep Max i agree with Bruce you have permision to shoot first then we will ask questions
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
this may work...
nice cannonballs...
[Image: rusmos125b.jpg]
holy shit...thats huge...imagine taking one of those to the stomach!!!
So, I take it that if anyone is guilty of ostentacious and mind boggling (muggling?) thread hijacking, the 2nd thing they should hear will be the sound of a shot, which means....I missed. You may have to assist here Ray!Hijacked

MaxKnuppel2HayabusaKnuppel2
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
I'm no help. I'm firing blanks.

Back on topic.
If we are forced to use the attachment feature, what can be done about the limits on the attachment space?

I really don't think the thumbnail is working Rod. People want to see what is on the page and not have to open another window. It is not necessary.

Attachments are great for documents and slide shows etc but I don't think they should have to be used for photographs.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:I'm no help. I'm firing blanks.

Back on topic.
If we are forced to use the attachment feature, what can be done about the limits on the attachment space?

I really don't think the thumbnail is working Rod. People want to see what is on the page and not have to open another window. It is not necessary.

Attachments are great for documents and slide shows etc but I don't think they should have to be used for photographs.

looks like we may have a salution soon Pi_thumbsup
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
DjPete Wrote:this may work...
nice cannonballs...
[Image: rusmos125b.jpg]

This is something that needs to be looked at if you are quoting take the picture out
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
I knew someone that survived for 8 years in a vegetative state. Cant ask for more than that i guess
[Image: bmr.gif]
I agree with most of what Busgo has to say... and like a number of other longer term members, I don't come here as often because we've lost that sense of broader community and seem to have become more a group of associated factions.

I'm not convinced its got much to do with the new board, but more about the fact that a lot of esteemed members just didn't migrate here with us, or very rarely attend. Rev and Gdy are just two examples of characters (and knowledgeable contributors) who I believe are sorely missed. There is an absence of thought provoking, technical, damn funny, innovative and engrossing content and I miss the friendly shit-stirring that used to go on (get well soon Rod!). Theres more me me me and less about the bikes and the rides. We talk about 'going on a ride' but we never do ride reports and rarely post shots for others to share. Perhaps Heidi is right and its because the bike is a known quantity after so many years that we've explored and discussed all its facets and run out of puff. Maybe its just the Winter blues and the board will revive itself once prime riding times return.

I also think that the separation of various 'parts' of the board lessens general interest. Once you're in Bike Discussions, you don't see the other threads, like "Not bike related" or "Bling Sales Counter" unless you remember to go right back to the main area. I liked it better when everything was on one page and it reminded you there were areas you've not visited lately.

I still come to the board most days but I tend not to be as vocal as I once was. Instead of posting 20 to 40 times a week, I've dropped back to 5 to 10 - mind you, I still think I'm winning the word count competition. I do tend to ramble on in my posts sometimes. Like now.

Oh... and Busa-Rod, please don't take what people have to say so much to heart. No-one is criticizing you, or the board you helped create and now moderate. All members have a say - even if they don't have the technical expertise or aren't moderators. Your efforts are appreciated but the rest of us have just as much right to influence the board even though we can't do the tech builds and make the changes ourselves.

As for hijacking... if you don't like where a thread is heading, say so, ignore the sub-plot and stick to the topic. If ppl feel the need to converse on personal interest issues, set up a Ping for that person and chat away.

To me, this place is about the people who represent the character of the place - like pan, simmo, Heidi, Rev, Volvi, DJ, Gdy (if he ever comes back), Ruffy, Busgo, Kawasuki, Dan, Sum, MrsTony (bring back the jokes!!!) and so many others. Combine that with the thing we have in common... riding and bikes (any bike) but add to that the fact that the theme happens to be a specific bike I'm personally very attached to - and in all, its still a fantastic board.

If the board isn't the vibrant, interesting, fun, informative community you wish it was.... then strike a blow .... contribute. Restore the culture, add your character, write about your riding experiences, share them with all the other like minded people here. If you're doing maintenance or bling - be it routine or even if its been done before - take pictures, explain your process, involve the rest of the group. Thats what keeps us all coming back for more. Don't concentrate on what you don't like, concentrate on what you do like and start heading in that direction.

I'll shut up now.

(I should write a book!)