The City of Melbourne is moving to ban motorcycle & scooter footpath parking.
The Ant Wrote:
slowandsteady Wrote:Having said this, I'm sure bikes taking up all the car parking spots in the CBD would have the required effect.....

Does this mean that they're going to ban all those table and chairs put out on the footpath for the Latte brigade?

You mean those poofta Ducati riders?

What a call!
Were going to get along just fine lol

Well if there is a gathering to protest im sure il come.
Im over leaving my bike to the public eye though,its a new busa
an people still try to harass it an what not.
Ive already gotten into 1 fight over it cuz 2s cocksmokers had
a go at kicking it outside of a pub ( i never seen these guys before in my life ) an had to beat the f*** out of them. Nothing like running in a set of alpine star boots on c******* faces.

An then last weekend i go to park it outside of a club an some other mess goes to me "the roads over there dickhead" it was nearly on like donkey kong all over again.
Then on the same night we go 2 hungry jacks at spencer st
early in the morning to eat an i look back at my bike an theres
these 2 messed up junkies looking at it an 1 of em is trying to turn the oggy knobs. FFS,it doesnt end.
You try to be nice about it but its hard dealing with dickheads,an then when they get hospitalised,you end up looking like the being the bad guy.

Im over being a decent citizen.
What has the councils/law ever done for us?
They got nothing better to do than come up with
new revenue raising schemes when theres a city that
needs to be cleaned up of junkies and drug dealers an thieves,
but no,stick with giving people canaries an speeding fines because
thats more important. Well done!
I love a good protest .
I would be in it , but they should start it tonight.
The metting with the council is tonight so they should have arranged it for then and put bikes in all the council parking spots ( 1 bike per place) and all the streets around the town hall leaving no parking spaces , they would give them a nice hint of whats to come.
Shame i just read this or i would have gone.

My appartment looks on to Little Lonsdale Street, Russel Street, Swanston Street, La Trobe street. I work on the corner of LaTrobe and Exhibition. There is an amazing amount of bikes parked in the city these days. I want to know where all those bikes are going to be parked instead. There are so many riders in the building I work in that if just those people used car spaces for the bikes in the same vacinity, it wouldnt take to long before there would be lots of irrate car drivers with no where to park.

I am actually partially with the Council on this one. Given I live surrounded by these streets and get to listen to horns and the like 24x7 I would be more than happy if the council banned all driving and parking in the city. Force people to park on the outskirts and public transport or walk in. Rip up some tar, plant some trees allowing only the likes of services vehicles, couriers and the like (that was just for you Tez) into the cbd unless of course you are a resident.

Now someone hand me my John Butler Trio cd, a peace pipe and stick me up a tree wrapped in chains.
[Image: bmr.gif]
Still find it hard to believe the amount of crap that we as motorcyclist take from authorities at all levels and the general populace. I couldn't count the no. of times I've been threatened or abused because I can do things as a motorcyclist that you can't do in a car. I remember going into Sydney's Olympic stadium for the Bledisloe a few years ago. I went on my cycle of the time and parked in a parking area in a spot that was marked as a no go for cars because it was too small but was big enough for a couple of bikes, and was out of the way of traffic both pedestrian and cars. I was threatened with a fine from a parking pig and violence from a cage driver because he didn't like the fact that I could fit there and he couldn't. Sick of feeling completely impotent because of the attitude of Gov'ts , coppers etc.Confused
It's a week by week charade.
Quote:Motorbike parking on footpaths to be reviewed
Wednesday, 31 October 2007

The City of Melbourne will review the parking of motorbikes and scooters on Council footpaths in some of the laneways and streets in the Hoddle Grid, following a decision at last nightâ€s Council meeting.

Under the plan, Council will consult with motorcycle riders groups and other relevant stakeholders, including RACV, Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce (VACC), Federated Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) and VicRoads.

“We welcome people riding motorbikes and scooters in the City of Melbourne, but we need to ensure that we balance riders†needs with our obligations to pedestrians,” Lord Mayor John So said.

Streets to be considered in the review include Flinders Lane, Little Collins, Little Bourke, Little Lonsdale and Little La Trobe Sts.

Melbourne is the only Australian capital city that allows motorcycles to park legally on footpaths.

Councillor Peter Clarke said motorcycles are allowed to park on footpaths provided they donâ€t obstruct the movement of pedestrians.

“Itâ€s important that motorbike and scooter riders park where they are allowed – currently that means using any of the 325 free on street parking spaces or parking on the vast majority of footpaths. We should increase our on street parking to assist in providing parking alternatives,” Cr Clarke said.

There are currently three locations where motorbikes and scooters are banned from parking on the footpath in the City of Melbourne. These are the south side footpath of Collins Street between Exhibition Street and George Parade, the south side footpath of Flinders Lane between Port Phillip Arcade and Elizabeth Street and the west side footpath of Exhibition Street adjacent to Her Majestyâ€s Theatre.

The City of Melbourne is a member of the ‘Motorcycles in the City of Melbourne†forum.

A small reprieve for the time being....But watch this space for further developments.
Anyone been to "Scooter City" (Taipei) ?

There are very few car spaces up there, every available square centimetre has a scooter parked on it. They are parked handle bar to handle bar on the streets radiating out from the CBD for kilometres in every direction. There are some scoots that obviously haven't moved from their spot for years, & by the age of some, maybe decadesEek (flat tyres, rusted & corroded up, covered in grime etc.) I saw a few dead ones lying in the gutter & cracked up when a council truck came along with a big grabbing arm & slung the things into the back.Lol3 One bloke who parked on the footpath there had a barbie on the back with a big steaming cauldron of evil looking & smelling animal by products for the local yokels lunches that we'd feed to Rover Lol3

Locals told me that there were 20 million registered scooters in Taiwan. Confused

The scooter crowd here seem to be pretty politically aware & not backward in coming forward to voice their opinions on how they should be treated by the authorities etc.....good on em, should be more of it Pi_thumbsup

Pretty economical mode of transport & relatively cheap to buy as well, saw some Modenas 125 four strokes at Sepang expo retailing for $1300.

Councillor whatsisface should take an Aspro & have a good lie down, then take ANOTHER rate payer funded (& council credit card accompanied) ie (rate payer funded ) all expenses paid overseas rort I mean trip to study the mating habits of the European Feral Garbologisti. After that he should be in a better frame of mind to make good rational decisions affecting motorcyclists & their previously negotiated parking arrangements........failing that he could just cop a woolly bull up vegemite valley Confused
Never ride the A model of anything.