Survival Tips - Add Yours Here
I always watch them through their own side mirror. If they look in their mirror, sure as shit they are coming over .. Pi_freak
Practice practice practice till it's an automatic reaction I recon. I hate manholes, I have a suspition that one day the covers will all be stolen for their metal content (actually has happened in the US) So I have a game I play when there are no cars around and my tires are warmed up, I ride up to one and at the last second smack the bar and move across to the other side of it and go past.

Some months back I was on the SE freeway in heavy traffic beside the city. I was well back but my attention was distracted for a second and looking up saw that all the cars in front had come to a stop almost. I was doing probably 70k's. There were cars all around me and as I hit the picks I could see I was not going to make it but rear-end some late model car right in front. Without even thinking I smacked the bar one way and then the other and was a meter over, positioned just right to go between the cars, braking heavily yet again. It wouldn't have worked either, unless I was in the LH wheeltrack of the RH lane where I always prefer to sit unless passing a truck, or near a truck, or thinking about a truck.

I was about 300 meters behind a truck on the freeway once when one of its rear tyres blew. Black stuff shot everywhere, huge chunks flew across 2 and 3 lanes. That wasn't the scary part though, it was what all the cars did that spooked me. They just started slamming on their brakes and moving hither and thither across the lanes as though someone was shooting at them. The traffic was light but I was real glad that I was well back. It was like a scene out of Mad Max Pi_freak
From my 23 years on the road in cars, Trucks and on bike I think ive learn only one thing and thats you cant trust anyone including your self to do the right thing at the right time! no matter how much you practice any number of statergies to survive sooner or later the shit will hit the fan. We can only hope that what we do will lesson the impact.Bump
In saying that you cant let the world beat you, So enjoy lifes to good to worry if your going to come a cropper!!Pi_thumbsup
Her job is to Bitch!
Mine is to give her reasonYes

VERITAS...SANGUINEM ET HONOREM
Ride it like you stole it. Watch out for hard things, slippery things and blue things. Works for me.[Image: 0002038A.gif]
My neighbour knocked on my door at 2:30am this morning , can you believe that , 2:30am?! Luckily for him I was still up playing my Bagpipes.
I learned a lot from this post; there's some good ideas been brought up that I'll give a try.
I've always tried to learn to broaden the limits of my vision and try to see a bigger picture. I once read that Stirling Moss was capable of looking straight ahead but simultaneously being able to read and understand the gauges/instruments, see and understand who was in front/behind him (in the mirrors), read the lapboards from the pits, and even identify any single person in the grandstand crowd. This was without changing his focus or moving his head at 150mph! Apparently he taught himself to do it, and the Royal Airforce conducted the tests because they were interested in the concept.
I think that it's pretty obvious that we all have to ride defensively now with the dickheads that are out there, and I think your chances are better if you can somehow see a bigger picture. Try it out, it's pretty hard tho!
On the other hand I've scared the shit out of myself when I've been distracted for a few seconds (looking in the mirror for a copper?) and then looked up and find I've gone 300m down the road and never saw a thing!!
Every day we embark on a trip on bike or in tintop we need to be
highly alert of whats around us, Practicing trying to see and under stand whats around us useing poriferal vision is a must for survival.
But its freakyScary when you are traveling at speed and realise how much
distance can be covered in the blink of an eye.

Use the forceBiker
Her job is to Bitch!
Mine is to give her reasonYes

VERITAS...SANGUINEM ET HONOREM

When you overtake an outlaw motorcycle gang becuse they are slow and noisey wastes of time riding out the old pac or out in the sticks, and leave them eating your dust, make sure that you have enough fuel so you dont get caught out at the next closest fuel stop when they pull in. Happened to a mate of mine on his thirsty gixxer 1000. What happned next wasnt nice.
In crowded areas do not split traffic, make shure the cars around you know where you are. If you have a manual/clutch bike then practice not stalling it, you will look stupid stalling your bike on a public road. I learned on a dirtbike, thats the best place to learn if you have a friend that has one or something.