serious cutting off problems almost caused wreck!!!
I went up the mountain the other day for a quick "tire melt" and almost wrecked my 99 busa. I went into the curve, leaned, dropped a lil knee down, and suddenly my bike CUT OFF! I almost dropped it! So I got it leaned back up, and hit the starter switch while I was still rolling and I got nothing! like I wasn't even pushing the start button! I tried popping the clutch and everything while I was rolling to get it to start and nothing worked! then suddenly I just kept pushing the start button in and fired it up. Then as I was going to find a pull off to look the bike over, It cut off and on by itself about 5 more times??????I pulled over, looked it over, and could find nothing! when I started to restart the bike,it almost didn't start, like it just cranked and cranked before it finally started back up, and this bike always fires on the first crank! Wtf anyone have a freakin clue? I am dumbfounded where to even start on this problem...............it has never gave me any problems what so ever! I even left the cover off of it in the garage to "punish it" and make it stare at my wifes harley until it decides to act betterSFun_kickingroin anyways guys any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Fuel ....Easy, and cheap???? to replace and can cause a whole bunch of problems.

Then start with cleaning/replacing fuel filters, screens in pump, injectors etc. probably a good idea to do this anyway.

Leonard.Biker
G'day
sounds electrical to me..."like I wasn't even pushing the start button"...one of the cutout switches not working properly - sidestand/tipover/clutch?
Regards
Kevin
fuel pump and all filters therein '99's are notorious for this. overhaul fuel pump as first remedy and change fuel lines if older then 4 yrs.

happened to me @ 170 km/h suddenly just cut out, did come back on but found pump to be full of crud, I think from rubber breakdown of fuel lines.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Had a similar prob. with my SV1000S. Intermittent electrical. wouldn't start and would cut out in traffic etc. Turned out to be a wire harness/ dodgy connector prob. Absolute bitch to track down though!ViolinPi_freak
It's a week by week charade.
Was it a very hot day?
Go thru everything mentioned,fuel system is a prob on the 99-00,check electrical connectors,seperate them look for corrosion,crc and reassemble inc the batt terminals , fuses and relays.
also check the sidestand switch and the tipover switches,
Any fault codes when it was cutting out,
I had a similar problem with my 05 , and it was the Knockover switch.
Its located on the bracket at the base of your tank, so lift tank and there should be a little black box just in front of battery to the left looking back along the bike.
Also have you tryed the codes, try this

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...p?tid=6556
[Image: photo3.jpg]
Also see my response to the other new discussion on fuel surge problems.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
thanks for the response guys, I'm off tommorrow and I will take everything apart......AGAIN and see if I can some up with anything. Also so you don't have to have the dealer tool to check for codes in the engine?????Thanks again!
ok checked to see if I got any codes and got -C00 which says none. I Just thought of something that happened a little while back and it started doing this shortly after........Do you guys remember me posting "switch housing diagram please" I had to replace both switch housings and maybe something is pinched or shorting out????I'll check that too and repost with my findings tommorrow! thanks guys!
Yep, it could be the clutch activation switch in the left switchblock as someone mentioned earlier.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
LANDJET Wrote:thanks for the response guys, I'm off tommorrow and I will take everything apart......AGAIN and see if I can some up with anything. Also so you don't have to have the dealer tool to check for codes in the engine?????Thanks again!

You need a dealler tool alright......paperclip!

You do realise that checking for codes after the event is useless, as the codes are wiped once power is switched off?

The crazy thing is: Once you have the problem you must activate the diagnostic plug (paperclip etc) without losing power.

So your riding along, the bike fails, you pull up to remove the seat to get to the plug, but you need the allen wrench to get the seat off which is under the hump, you need the key to undo the hump.....which is in the ignition and if you remove it you wipe the code!

What I do when fault finding/repairing etc. is make up an extension of the diag plug so you can get to it with out removing anything.(2 wires is all you need inserted into the plug and insulated using electrical tape.

Once sorted you can remove it.

Quick way of working out if its a electrical or fuel fault.....but not always the final word.

Almost forgot, If the fI light isn't on or flashing then there's no code logged, so checking for one is useless.

Leonard.Biker
Clutch switch won't cause a cutout only a low rev limit and a slightly flatter accelleration
Fault codes are not stored, key off resets,if you bridge the terminals and ride to induce the prob you may get a code on the dash.
Check your battery and connection's are tight and clean, it could be as simple as a loose cable or wire connection.