Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Hayabusa Gen.II (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? (/showthread.php?tid=15578)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - McTavish - 16-08-2010

people have been telling me they aren't...full stop. i was getting all excited about putting a nice 300hp atw and 200ftlbs(!) turbo kit on the 14. thats a 14grand kit fitted by s&r pro, with massive intercoolers, clutch, injectors, rear swing arm, chips, tune and suspension etc etc...a real mad max looking freakish monstrosity. Manager Jamie said its his fav bike to turbo due to its low compression.

having been through two b-kings, my other close option was always going to be a busa - to give it some balls without forced induction. a big screen for my 195cm frame and i could even tour on it.

my current 14 is a keeper for life. the hemicuda of bikes. it stays.

falco and i ride each others bikes regularly. he has forbidden me from riding certain roads on his LOL (fess up falco). we do roll-ons and play all sorts of games on the 14 and busa.

any thoughts for my second bike???

big bore and cammed akra pc3 14, or busa, starting with full akra and pc3 dyno??

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Maj - 16-08-2010

They could be but not many bother to go through the red tape , you would have to check your state regs as to the requirements, and i think it would be easier to do as a 220 hp kitten than a 300hp tiger

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - FalcoPerigri - 16-08-2010

Go Hayabusa I'd say, but be warned...cos it WILL go when you say GO that is above where the 14 will start to tail off...up to then there's not much in it I'd say especially your bike with the evil FULL Akra on it.

From what I have seen, turbo-charging is only necessary if you are going out to make a record run on the salt flats. Otherwise, I think for an all-rounder 200RWHP Busa is achievable normally aspirated.
Just see Roger Heyes or son Scott for this and you can rest assured.

RE Turbo, I'd first like to see the hands up from all the Insurance companies who would insure a turbo bike on the road it might very well be illegal for public use.
YES on some stretches I FORBID YOU to ride my bike because I WANT TO RIDE IT!!!???!!!
PLUS I genuinely fear for your LIFE the way you leave big gaping holes in the bitumen the way you ride yours!
FP

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - simmo - 16-08-2010

Or you could

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/showthread.php?tid=13081

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Maj - 16-08-2010

I know of fully insured turbo bikes , non ADR brake discs that sell on ebay could be more life threatening and also put at risk insurance claims than a properly setup turbo .. Properly being the key word..

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - McTavish - 16-08-2010

(16-08-2010, 07:05pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Go Hayabusa I'd say, but be warned...cos it WILL go when you say GO that is above where the 14 will start to tail off...up to then there's not much in it I'd say especially your bike with the evil FULL Akra on it.

From what I have seen, turbo-charging is only necessary if you are going out to make a record run on the salt flats. Otherwise, I think for an all-rounder 200RWHP Busa is achievable normally aspirated.

RE Turbo, I'd first like to see the hands up from all the Insurance companies who would insure a turbo bike on the road it might very well be illegal for public use.
YES on some stretches I FORBID YOU to ride my bike because I WANT TO RIDE IT!!!???!!!
PLUS I genuinely fear for your LIFE the way you leave big gaping holes in the bitumen the way you ride yours!
FP

yep, the torque shape makes the 14 the rhino of bikes. tell them falco, up to what speeds will it give nasty curry to a gen 2 busa? LOLOLOL

i still have the gen2 on the shopping list

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Timmy_0_T00l - 16-08-2010

i was told once that you can legally ride turbo's on the road as long as you have full engineers reports, not sure if its true or not tho

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - arthur dunga - 16-08-2010

" Are turbo bikes road legal " Why stop there,are wheelies legal, is all after market gear legal , is speeding legal .I'd guess that most people on this site do something illegal every time they ride there bike, whats your point? If you want to stick to doing legal activities take up knitting & making scones & tea.

(16-08-2010, 07:38pm)McTavish Wrote:
(16-08-2010, 07:05pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Go Hayabusa I'd say, but be warned...cos it WILL go when you say GO that is above where the 14 will start to tail off...up to then there's not much in it I'd say especially your bike with the evil FULL Akra on it.

FP

yep, the torque shape makes the 14 the rhino of bikes. tell them falco, up to what speeds will it give nasty curry to a gen 2 busa? LOLOLOL

i still have the gen2 on the shopping list

The 1400 is THE SLEEPER of all bikes which could hide in the bushes and devour you whether you are on a Busa, Moto GP bike or whatever, GIVEN THE TERRAIN is in it's DOMAIN. It's power delivery is superb accompanied by the Mother of all Torque. The official 1/4 mile times between the Busa and 1400 shows that there is not a lot in it especially when a FULL AKRA TUNED system is in the mix on the 1400.
However, with the same treatment, the Busa will have just about 195bhp at the rear wheel (minus some weight as well from removing the twin cans) before embarking on cams and further development so my guess is that it will lead the 1400 at the end of the 1/4 mile by a second.

The 1400 in my opinion goes to around 250-260 before wind resistance and and it's natural red-line takes its toll. The Busa essentially is built for speeds above 260 but it makes no sense to directly compare these two bikes as they fulfill a different set of design parameters. Where the 1400 excels in the squirt and dart twisties it might also lose out in some stability above certain speeds, not to say it's unstable, but the Busa is built like I said, for SERENITY at 300kph. and beyond. There is one place the 1400 wins (completely against any other bike) and that is the purchase price and value for such a powerful animal. Frankly I think both bikes are TOO FAST!
However what a priviledge it is to be able to enjoy riding them! If you buy a Busa, I will buy a 1400!

(16-08-2010, 09:04pm)arthur dunga Wrote: " Are turbo bikes road legal " Why stop there,are wheelies legal, is all after market gear legal , is speeding legal .I'd guess that most people on this site do something illegal every time they ride there bike, whats your point? If you want to stick to doing legal activities take up knitting & making scones & tea.

I think you've missed the point, but by all means, comment on knitting if you have to.

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - McTavish - 17-08-2010

(16-08-2010, 10:27pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote:
(16-08-2010, 09:04pm)arthur dunga Wrote: " Are turbo bikes road legal " Why stop there,are wheelies legal, is all after market gear legal , is speeding legal .I'd guess that most people on this site do something illegal every time they ride there bike, whats your point? If you want to stick to doing legal activities take up knitting & making scones & tea.

I think you've missed the point, but by all means, comment on knitting if you have to.

yep, the riders on the mountain including 1/4 mile riders state that having a visible turbo (with massive intercoolers) and swing arm etc would get me booked and off the road permanently within minutes, no matter what.
like driving a top fuel dragster gently down a public road basically.

i'm still unclear on the issue. sometimes politely asking the worst bike coppers is the quickest way to get this info.

its looking a bit sad because my black mad max 14 was a dream bike for me :(

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Macbusa - 17-08-2010

Knitting must be fun... she's smiling. Lol2
[Image: knitBlondeNeedlesScarf3_feather.jpg]

(17-08-2010, 12:45am)Macbusa Wrote:

Knitting must be fun... she's smiling. Lol2
[Image: knitBlondeNeedlesScarf3_feather.jpg]

you say you have a hair dryer? and stealth? so, is it hidden under the plastic because of plod and the law? the 14 has nowhere to hide it. what numbers did you get from your bike...hp/torque?

the knitting photo is funny, but some sober feedback would also be great, if you really ride a turbo bike in oz.

RE: are turbo bikes road legal in australia? - Maj - 17-08-2010

This will be getting a engineers report
[Image: august100.jpg]
[Image: august101.jpg]

so, what are these turbo busas dynoing at? no need to be shy!