Removing Hand Grips on K8
Hi All,

Can someone help me out with a bit of advice on removing the standard hand grips on the K8. What is the easiest/safest/best way to get them off without breaking anything?

Thanks everyone in advanceVery Happy

Julian
Do you want to use them again ? If not, cut them off with a stanley knife .
Photobucket
id be happy to have them if you dont need them. try peeling it back over itself if only half way apply soapie solution to handlebar, return grip onto and twist and turn off.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
remuswolf Wrote:Hi All,

Can someone help me out with a bit of advice on removing the standard hand grips on the K8. What is the easiest/safest/best way to get them off without breaking anything?

Thanks everyone in advanceVery Happy

Julian

If u have a compressor use the air nozzle and stick it up between the bar and rubber and it will loosen it than u rotate off. Same when u put them back.
One possibility is to spray something liquid under the hand grips....soap or something...then they will come out nicely...same way you can put new ones in...they will dry and stay in place
If you get a long thin straight blade screw driver and carefully push it all the way to the end of the grip try to keep the blade of the screwdriver flush against the handle so it doesnâ€t push through the grip. Then work it all around the handle and the grip will come straight off undamaged, I took mine off and put on some alloy grips that I didnâ€t like too much so I pushed the originals back on, like new again.
Remove the slide block off the end. With the right grip, unclamp the brake lever off the handle note there is a punch mark on the handle which is a reference point for where the brake clamps back on, I used a No 2 Phillips head bit from a drill and a small shifter to take apart the housing where the throttle cables are, the top lifts off leave all the wiring alone, take out the two Allen keys that hold the handle in place, it has a grove in the handle where one of the bolts clamps on so can only go back into position one way, once the handle is loose slide it forward towards the centre until the it is past the cable housing, try to get some slack in the cable then lift the grip and try pull the base out of the housing and lower it down then remove the two cables off the grip, read this backwards for re-install. Use this info as a guide only.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Got the left one off ok. I'm still a bit unsure about the throttle grip tho. There seems to be a lip at each end underneath the grip. How do I lever the grip over the lip closest to the controls without damaging anything?

Forgive my ignorance Confused
remuswolf Wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. Got the left one off ok. I'm still a bit unsure about the throttle grip tho. There seems to be a lip at each end underneath the grip. How do I lever the grip over the lip closest to the controls without damaging anything?

Forgive my ignorance Confused

I twisted the throttle as if accelerating then try to use the excess cable to lift the grip out as you return the grip back; this is the part where to keep your cool, if this doest work use controlled anger.
Ok got it off!!! And only swore 37 times!Clap

Now I wanna put some of those flash Oxford Heated Grips on (don't tell anyone tho!) but there is no way its gonna slide over the lip of the throttle tube. Especially the 4mm lip at the end where the controls are!! Do I just carefully file these down or is that a bad idea??
I would talk or PM "Heidi1" as he has put a set on I think, and would help you through it maybe.
Cheers
John.
Thanks John
Oh no, mine are still in the box. I know Max and Les (busdriver) have put them on, so has Bruce from memory.