Will my 2008 need a retune
I just ordered some r77 carbon slip-ons for my 08 ,and I was wondering if I will need to dyno the bike ,I am also changing the air filter [ kn] and getting a 10000 km service .Scary
(10-09-2009, 11:59am)blockyoakford Wrote: I just ordered some r77 carbon slip-ons for my 08 ,and I was wondering if I will need to dyno the bike ,I am also changing the air filter [ kn] and getting a 10000 km service .Scary

Stay away from aftermarket air filters. Regardless of the make, they actually lose hp compared to the stock filter. This has been proven through track and dyno testing. Oil filled filters actually restrict air flow. This was comfirmed through consultation with Brocks performance. If you want your bike running perfectly then yes i would get a dyno tune. Hope i helped...........
wow first Ive heard of that re aftermarket filters. I still swear by my BMC Race Red, which is pretty thin ie less restrictive then paper OEM. But if the experts say that well Im not gonna argue with them, except to say I'll stick with my BMC thx.

they say you can put aftermarket cans without dyno or ecu adjustment. but no doubt many have to fine tune it. up to you.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Mate others may not agree but I have been running R77 slip ons with no other mods for over a year.
The performance is wonderful. The bike simply runs, looks and sounds much better than before.
As Bigjay says, if you are after peak performance, get a dyno or reflash the ecu BUT for road use, I didn't and won't bother.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
I have the two brothers CF slip-ons & a pipercross filter. Got the A/F ratio checked at Patto's in Bunbury before & after the air filter was installed. Quite rich before & still slightly on the rich side after. You could reflash the ECU or install a PCIV to get it perfect but it won't make much difference IMO unless you get rid of the stock header.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
(10-09-2009, 05:25pm)BUSGO Wrote: Mate others may not agree but I have been running R77 slip ons with no other mods for over a year.
The performance is wonderful. The bike simply runs, looks and sounds much better than before.
As Bigjay says, if you are after peak performance, get a dyno or reflash the ecu BUT for road use, I didn't and won't bother.

Ray I rode a gen 2 last week with just a set of yoshi cans like yours, yesterday I rode the same bike after its been to Petes Pit Stop and the bike was unrecognisable in the way it delivered power and rode.What Im saying is that a fully tuned and reflashed bike is a chalk and cheese comparison to one that has not been touched.Better performance cannot be achieved just by bolting on a couple of cans and no tuning done.imo
Read
Yeah thanks , dudes Ill have to bolt on the bits and see how we go. Didnt know that about of the air filters , hope i havent wasted $100.00 time will tell.......
ah the old dyno debate- this could be a long thread! i have aftermarket pipes and air filter and im happy. from what i understand new vehicles are generally set up to run lean to pass emissions tests etc. and the next thing is to choke the inlet and exhaust. open pipes and a good air filter should run richer so it should roughly even itself out.
dynos are great for telling you figures but dont always reflect true engine dynamics- unless youre a drag racer and hp is god. set your bike up on dyno and all is good- then change altitude or air temps and your perfect air fuel ratio goes out the window. enter this world and the only questions you need to ask is how much and how long to get it right. otherwise i reckon just ride it.
stock filters may flow better but i bet they would have to let more shite into your engine too. personally i like reusable filters i can wash and oil regularly. if youre only worried about hp throw your filter away and run an open exhaust while youre at it!
Ludicrous speed- go!
(11-09-2009, 04:43pm)keno77 Wrote: ah the old dyno debate- this could be a long thread! i have aftermarket pipes and air filter and im happy. from what i understand new vehicles are generally set up to run lean to pass emissions tests etc. and the next thing is to choke the inlet and exhaust. open pipes and a good air filter should run richer so it should roughly even itself out.
dynos are great for telling you figures but dont always reflect true engine dynamics- unless youre a drag racer and hp is god. set your bike up on dyno and all is good- then change altitude or air temps and your perfect air fuel ratio goes out the window. enter this world and the only questions you need to ask is how much and how long to get it right. otherwise i reckon just ride it.
stock filters may flow better but i bet they would have to let more shite into your engine too. personally i like reusable filters i can wash and oil regularly. if youre only worried about hp throw your filter away and run an open exhaust while youre at it!

Well a multi million dollar R and D team surely know what they're doing by putting stock filters on. These people have the time and the money to know what works on a bike and what doesn't. On both gen1 busa and gen 2 busa aftermarket filters lose hp. Proven on the dyno and the track. Most people just ride their bike and some drag it and others do both. People who just ride dont really worry about air fuel ratio and richer and leaner. They just ride. If you want optimum performance, then a dyno, flash, remapping or whatever will get the bike running perfect. If ya dont care about 5 or 6 hp then just change ya pipes, put on a aftermarket filter and then just ride!!!!! A no brainer really!!!!!!!!
Throwing away filter and running open exhaust???? Not the smartest thing to doIdiot2
(11-09-2009, 07:22pm)bigjay Wrote:
(11-09-2009, 04:43pm)keno77 Wrote: ah the old dyno debate- this could be a long thread! i have aftermarket pipes and air filter and im happy. from what i understand new vehicles are generally set up to run lean to pass emissions tests etc. and the next thing is to choke the inlet and exhaust. open pipes and a good air filter should run richer so it should roughly even itself out.

Well a multi million dollar R and D team surely know what they're doing by putting stock filters on. These people have the time and the money to know what works on a bike and what doesn't. On both gen1 busa and gen 2 busa aftermarket filters lose hp. Proven on the dyno and the track. Most people just ride their bike and some drag it and others do both. People who just ride dont really worry about air fuel ratio and richer and leaner. They just ride. If you want optimum performance, then a dyno, flash, remapping or whatever will get the bike running perfect. If ya dont care about 5 or 6 hp then just change ya pipes, put on a aftermarket filter and then just ride!!!!! A no brainer really!!!!!!!!
Throwing away filter and running open exhaust???? Not the smartest thing to doIdiot2

As stated above, My after market air filter resulted in a better A/F ratio and more Hp when compared to the stock filter. Dyno runs were completed within a few hours of each other.
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Read
Quote:I'd love a dollar for every owner who has spent over a thousand dollars and more on Exhaust Cans etc for their bike and as much as it LOOKS and SOUNDS better I'll guarantee they are riding around 90% of the time with less horse power than before they spent their money ......

true, the pipes i've bought have dyno maps and each dyno map shows an increase in hp and torque , however the increase is right up top in 6th gear flat out , i bought the pipes so i could hear the engine more so than for extra speed . On my other bike with an after market pipe i noticed a slight decrease in torque in 4th gear but an increase in top gear.
Had my R77 full system dynoed about three weeks ago. Readout shows that A/F ratios were all over the shop. Horsepower is now up, but more importantly, A/F ratio is much better so bike has to be running better across the entire rev range (I can't give a seat of the pants account because I got dyno done straight away so haven't anything to compare with).

Every bike comes out of the factory with different A/F ratio, so it is best to optimise this on an individual basis for your bike.

AS for running lean to comply with ADR's. ADR is done at a specific rev range, so it may be lean there, but rich somewhere else then lean again. As I said, mine was all over the place.