2000 model Starter Spline Stripped
I own a 2000 model Hayabusa.

Last night the splines on my starter motor had stripped. Apparently a common problem on the very earlier models. An hour before there was what appeared to be some back firing on start up and when I tried starting it later an awful noise like nuts and bolt was rattling inside the engine. I tried push starting it and it skidded. Removed the starter cover and found a stripped spline on the starter motor. Is the gear that engages onto the starter spline straight cut all the way across? Mine seems to slightly bevelled on the engine side.

Is there an after market part/s to buy which rectifies this problem?

3 rides earlier I fitted 50 watt HID lights and was wondering if the power drawn from these lights in operation on start up might have contributed to not enough battery power to start properly resulting in a back fire? Bad quality fuel also perhaps as I just filled up with higher octane at United? The battery is newish and in good working order.
Are 50 watt HID lights safe to use on a 2000 model Busa without spiking occuring or other damage to the electricals and ECU?
(09-07-2010, 05:02pm)The Ant Wrote: I own a 2000 model Hayabusa.

Last night the splines on my starter motor had stripped. Apparently a common problem on the very earlier models. An hour before there was what appeared to be some back firing on start up and when I tried starting it later an awful noise like nuts and bolt was rattling inside the engine. I tried push starting it and it skidded. Removed the starter cover and found a stripped spline on the starter motor. Is the gear that engages onto the starter spline straight cut all the way across? Mine seems to slightly bevelled on the engine side.

3 rides earlier I fitted 50 watt HID lights and was wondering if the power drawn from these lights in operation on start up might have contributed to not enough battery power to start properly resulting in a back fire? Bad quality fuel also perhaps as I just filled up with higher octane at United? The battery is newish and in good working order.
Are 50 watt HID lights safe to use on a 2000 model Busa without spiking occuring or other damage to the electricals and ECU?
I also have a 2000 & after Carbon Busa had the problem with his 99 I Installed a toggle switch for my HID & won't Even try to start it with the headlight on just in case. I think carbon replaced the entire starter assembly with 2003 or later ,After they fixed the problem . The way I understand It any 99 or 2000 can do it but very few do .But running an even slightly flat battery is asking for trouble . When my bike isn't running it's on the trickle charger 24/7 .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Carpe Diem!
(09-07-2010, 05:02pm)The Ant Wrote: I own a 2000 model Hayabusa.

Hi Ant, I would guess your HID's have caused a kick back & damaged your starter train. All gears are straight cut so you have a bit more damage I feel.

I would strip it down to the Starter clutch & check EVERYTHING. Scary

The starter clutch should backspin smoothly & you need to separate it and inspect all bearing surfaces and the ditch it if in doubt.

Also check the #2 idler boss on the crankcase, (Get a Manual) make sure it is not cracked or gone egg shape as this is the number one concern.

Make sure the idler shaft is not loose in the Boss. I would recommend getting the Case Saver mod from Shayne at Cyanide Racing (AHC Member) if you do not upgrade it to a K3 or later setup.

check out this link It shows how I fixed mine.

Golden Child in the US should have a complete K3 upgrade kit for it. (His Details are in that post)

There is a guy on Ebay.com that sells the genuine light switch from European busa's that plug straight into the earlier Busa's. That is what I got cause I'm fussy about my Copper/Silver Pi_tongue
Isn't it Ironic that my Favourite Stretch of Tarmac is called C.O.P. Eek
Carbon Busa

What does the european light switch do?

What do you think about using the AP heavy duty starter and APE starter gear?

Thanks
(12-07-2010, 12:42pm)The Ant Wrote: Carbon Busa

What does the european light switch do?

What do you think about using the AP heavy duty starter and APE starter gear?

Thanks

PM Sent
Isn't it Ironic that my Favourite Stretch of Tarmac is called C.O.P. Eek