Road bike for Novice
I like the hyosung gt650r as good start.
See the bike in the 'For sale' section? Ideal IMO!
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
(01-09-2011, 09:57am)vitto Wrote: I like the hyosung gt650r as good start.

Pi_thumbsup +1

Ooops, forgot about that one....good call, Steve!! Very Happy

The things that I like about this option are as follows:-

* A very economical way to intro into road-riding (should be able to pick up a 2nd-hand one in reasonable cond. a LOT cheaper than any of the others mentioned so far)...

* They are a decent size, weight and feel...ideal for a new rider that is not "pint-sized"...

* For what they are (ie: an ENTRY-LEVEL bike), the build quality of these bikes is slowly but surely getting BETTER!!! (if you do some research on these [ie: comparing the 1st and earlier models to the current ones], you'll notice that this manufacturer is committed to things like evolutionary performance, reliability and over-all build quality)...

* Unlike the SV650....when it becomes time to find some extra "ponies", it is a very simple procedure to "remove" the restrictors on it!!! (with the SV650....you'll need to "replace" the whole ECU...= $$$$ Pi_freak)

* The styling looks like it's been very heavily inspired by a "particular" other bike that seems very popular around here....

* This bike is most definately losing the "dag, cheap & inferior" factor that it was originally known for when it first came out....anyone that doesn't believe me should go check out (and even try to test-ride) their LATEST models...Yes

Coolsmiley
Hey Baz, the trouble with removing the restricter is that the bike can never again be registered as LAMS approved (even if you re-restrict it) which reduces their resale value because they are no longer a LAMS bike. Someone with a bit of electrical knowlege could get around it I'm sure, but if a bike shop does it you are rooted.
(01-09-2011, 11:43am)Heidi1 Wrote: Hey Baz, the trouble with removing the restricter is that the bike can never again be registered as LAMS approved (even if you re-restrict it) which reduces their resale value because they are no longer a LAMS bike. Someone with a bit of electrical knowlege could get around it I'm sure, but if a bike shop does it you are rooted.

Unfortunately Hyosung's Don't hold their value . If your willing to buy a cheapie ( their all cheap )Just to get you through the learners/P stage, their OK but don't expect to be able to sell it for a decent price once you've finished with it .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(01-09-2011, 11:43am)Heidi1 Wrote: Hey Baz, the trouble with removing the restricter is that the bike can never again be registered as LAMS approved (even if you re-restrict it) which reduces their resale value because they are no longer a LAMS bike. Someone with a bit of electrical knowlege could get around it I'm sure, but if a bike shop does it you are rooted.

According to the local Hyosung dealer in Albury, he says there are NO "restrictors" on the Hyosung. It is simply an adjustment to the throttle cable to stop full throttle being possible. He told me he is sick of people who come in with all these stories of restrictors/removing baffles stories etc. And the internet is full of them. According to the Hyosung dealer in Albury, to "de-restrict" a "P Plate compliant Hyosung 650", once the paperwork is in order, all he needs to do is take out he spacer on the cable stop to allow full openning of the throttle, and it is just as simple to put it back in. You could do it yourself, and no-one would be the wiser.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(01-09-2011, 09:07pm)Ward P Wrote:

According to the local Hyosung dealer in Albury, he says there are NO "restrictors" on the Hyosung. It is simply an adjustment to the throttle cable to stop full throttle being possible. He told me he is sick of people who come in with all these stories of restrictors/removing baffles stories etc. And the internet is full of them. According to the Hyosung dealer in Albury, to "de-restrict" a "P Plate compliant Hyosung 650", once the paperwork is in order, all he needs to do is take out he spacer on the cable stop to allow full openning of the throttle, and it is just as simple to put it back in. You could do it yourself, and no-one would be the wiser.

It's hard to believe - for 2 reasons
First - LAMS is power restrictions BHP needs to be as per the requirement
Second - cable restriction, won't it effect the over all power delivery - RPM - VS the power etc

I think the dealer has the story wrong...
Bill
(01-09-2011, 09:39pm)Bill Gaheer Wrote:
(01-09-2011, 09:07pm)Ward P Wrote:

It's hard to believe - for 2 reasons
First - LAMS is power restrictions BHP needs to be as per the requirement
Second - cable restriction, won't it effect the over all power delivery - RPM - VS the power etc

I think the dealer has the story wrong...
Bill

Hmmmm......very interesting.....I'll check with my local HugelyHung dealer and see what he reckons!?! Undecided
(01-09-2011, 09:57am)vitto Wrote: I like the hyosung gt650r as good start.

You wouldn't say that if you saw how many warranty claims Team Moto has to deal with on those bikes...you pay peanuts you get monkeys!!!!
lol.. my misses young bloke as had one now for a few months & loves it. when u pay 10,000 for a brand new bike that you a are learning on & can up the power instead of bying a new bike, i think is a good place to start. I have had a ride & think its a nice bike to ride the bike looks good even sounds good. its up to the rider i guess. but as stated i think is a good bike to start on.
& from what i hear they are made by a sub company of suzuki...