Mixing Front and Back
pan Wrote:I was told the front needs to be a softer compound than the back, because if you are going to slip, you want it to be the back.

Have you aligned the wheels recently?
"sometimes crime does pay"<i></i>

Just a point that was given to me recently...

If front lets go...low-side! When it comes to stepping off, lowside is preferred method.

If rear lets go..hi-side! Do not try this at home!

I would imagine that tyre manfrs would know this and take into account when matching fr/rear sets.

A friend of mine is running a Pilot Power 2CT up front and P/Road 2CT down back, so far its all good, he is hoping to improve fr/rear wear ratio which atm is around 1to 1.5. He gets about 7k per rear.
I'm running two different profiles on the tyreabusa,because of a flat, 55 front & 50 rear ,both corsa's .Feels like the chopper out of easy rider & handles the same.The front want's to tip in & the back is resisting,Cannot wait to ditch the 50 & get back to running the 55's.Mixing different profiles is not good.5mm makes a big difference on the bike, chicks probably wouldn't notice.
Tone,
I'm running the same as you're matePi_thumbsup No trouble and great combo.
Gaz
I commute every day
Am running Metzler M3 front & Michy Road Pilot rear.
Comming up on 12K klm on this combo & no complaints so far.
Ressac

I had s simular problem with my GSXR1100 a few years ago and going through a shit load of money I found that these things are very sensitive. I end up putting the bike on a jig to make sure the front & rear wheels were alligned and true, to our amazement the whole bike was out by 2-3mm doesn't seem like much but boy oh boy did it make a big difference. All we had to do was loosen off the main frame bolts and when we did this there was a very loud cracking sound from the bike. When the bloody japs put things together everything is done up very tight and taut which is a good thing but sometimes just having the bike fall of the side stand is enough to chuck things out of allignment(normally need something a little more serious than that though ). To make the bike better handling After that as I still had a minor issue with the wollowing at speed I put in a Ohlins rear shock, ohlins fork springs and revalved the front as well. This made a huge impact on the bike and would have to agree with Spamanglenn you will not regret putting in an Ohlins. I have always ran a matched set of tyres but different coumpounds normally soft on the front. Just some more feedback to go over.
My friend of mine tried the front diablo,the rear diablo corsa.Not bad.He was suggesting to me the front 2 ct,the rear pilot road 2.What do you people think?A good combination or not?
I have been running a combo of Bridgestone BT015F front and Michellin Pilot Road 2CT on the rear for a few thousand ks now and I've gotta say that they appear to be a perfect match.
I would have normally gone for a BT015R but settled for the Road 2ct as the only option.
It was a good one and the bike feels just the same as with the OEM BT015.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Mmmm, an interesting debate, one I think will never be settled!.
Mix & match, this goes with that etc, what to do? Ok, Imo mixing tyres, providing they are both radials and not a crossply/radial should not make one iota of a difference, if the bike suffers in it's handling, after fitting 2 new mismatched tyres then it is a tyre problem, not a mismatched problem. Some mismatched combo's work very well. Personally I like a soft front and a medium to hard rear. If the front let's go then, unless u are Mick Doohan, the chances of recovery are slim, the rear, on the other hand is normally progressive in it's slip (Unless u are hard on the wick) rolling off the throttle is normally all that is required (Do Not shut off the throttle! Pan/possible High sides). I have had a good run on the Gen11 with a Metzeler race on the front and a Michelin 2ct pilot Road on the rear. I like Bridgestones, on my Gen1 F: 002's or 016's R:016's. I have never liked Michelins on the front, I didn't seem to get the feedback and their wear pattern is normally lumpy, Rears, no prob's. Dunlops I wouldn't piss on and unless they are hot they offer no grip. I have ran Pirellis, no prob's and will fit a new set of Corsa's when I get my BST Carbon Fibre wheels (Fingers crossed before Tathra!). All my tyres run at F:32-34psi R:36-38psi.

Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
Everybody dies, not Everybody lives !!
There is no substitute for grunt !!
Every boy needs more than one toy !!