Importing a bike from USA
anyone done it b4...

how do i get someone to share a container with me...

where do i find out info on it..

cheers. Regards
Grant

Bling Parts Australia

My pride and joy
I've asked a few folk the same question.

Kept getting similar answers.

Unless you have already owned the bike for an amount of
time 1 / 2 years? or the bike is over 15 years old its not
going to happen! Was also told that you can get around this
by importing as a "race" bike, but frame/engine numbers will never be acceptable for road use.

Whether the above is correct or total B/S i have no idea,
but I too would be greatful for further info.

Thanks,
Tony.J.

update
Just found this..

you cannot bring a motorcycle, car or truck into australia unless its older than than 15 years or has no official importer. to bring a bike less than 15 years old you must have owned it for at least 12 months and lived in the country where the bike was registered at the same time. if you do attempt to bring a bike into australia that was made after 1989 customs will destroy it. no ifs no buts.... it will happen. Edited by: Tony Nitrous  at: 24/3/06 6:56 am
I looked into this a little while back
Didnt here anything about bikes having to be over 15yrs old
or them being destroyed.
A couple of car carriers in brissy I spoke to said they would bring in a bike in there containers for about $1500 +GST on purchase price & if you get caught trying to cheat them on this they will keep the bike for sure.
About 2 month wait for it to arrive
Had to be race only for customs.
Then you got the headach of trying to arrange it all pretty hard from over here .
Then once the bike goes on the ship if something happens & the container goes overboard it's bye bye. (it happens)
The insurance to cover against it is huge so no 1 bothers.
You could always fly it out between $3k to $4k have in a week
Vehicle Standards Bulletin 10

Importing Vehicles to Australia

The Government has announced changes to the arrangements for the importation of vehicles 15 years or older. Under the new rules, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1989 may be imported without restriction. Vehicles built during 1989 (or later) will need to qualify under the Registered Automotive Workshop Scheme (RAWS).

www.dotars.gov.au/transreg/vsb/vsb_10.aspx
thank you for your comments and info..

now i ask the question...

what if it is broken down nito parts?

does the above rules/laws still apply?

cheers. Regards
Grant

Bling Parts Australia

My pride and joy
Another reply I recieved....

QUOTE: "If a model is marketed here then there is a 15 years moritorium on it. There are some sort of exceptions. New BMW's are one-Thats because the importation is officially approved by BMW Australia and as such it is not in breach of the regulations as it has BMW's little rubber stamp on it. Grey Imports from Japan are also legal because they are generally not models available on the Australian market and as such the Factory Importers(Suzuki Honda Etc) can't stop them(but they did try repeatedly through the courts a few years back). If you import a Busa or similar from the USA you can not get it complianced here without replacing the frame with an Aust Complianced model. People have imported late model bikes & gotten away with it BUT most of the times these bikes are impounded & destroyed. A U.S. Ex-Serviceman I know just went through it trying to bring his ZRX1200 out from the States. He hadn't owned the bike long and ran the risk of loosing it if it landed here."

Im sure there is a reason why someone isnt making a lot
of money importing cheap Busa's etc from the USA.
Im still interested in the subject if anyone has further info.

Tony.J.
Parts are ok.

I should know.

Leonard.
Be careful. You might be up for Australian GST.

I sent myself some Ohlins shocks home while I was in Japan for seven months. Before my bro could get them from Customs he had to pay Australian GST on the price I paid for them, including the freight and insurance (all converted to Australian Dollars) And then the paperwork fees.

Some of the guys I was in Japan with looked at shipping bikes home and they gave up. All the f--king around and the fees, GST etc was not worth the small saving they would make when the dust settled.

Check it out thoroughly.
Parts can be tricky they just have to come in under the radar
It helps if you know someone & they can post it to you
I've had several things posted to my door no duties