Dunlop Roadsmarts
Finally wore out my roadsmart. I mainly do fwy riding to and from work. Managed to get 14k out of the rear. The front still has plenty of tread.
Very happy with the grip levels wet or dry. I like it better than the metzeler M3 which only lasted about 5k and didn't feel as grippy in the dry and about the same in the wet.
I use them for the last 2 yrs on my landspeed bikes ,then wear them out on the roadbike , definitely 200mph capable ;), that dual compound does make for a nice combination of wear and grip
that is very impressive getting that sort of k's from tyres. I currently have Pirellis on mine and not a chance of getting even half that wear from them. I had the Metzeler M3's on my 1400 and was very happy with them, so might have to try the Dunlops next time. Do you find them a quick steering tyre like the Metzeler.
(02-10-2010, 10:41am)Steve Wrote: that is very impressive getting that sort of k's from tyres. I currently have Pirellis on mine and not a chance of getting even half that wear from them. I had the Metzeler M3's on my 1400 and was very happy with them, so might have to try the Dunlops next time. Do you find them a quick steering tyre like the Metzeler.

Steering wise I found them just as quick as the M3s.
I first tried M3s is because I heard a lot of good feedback, but compared to the Dunlops, they're not worth the money. The Roadsmarts do everything the M3s do but last much longer and grip better in the dry. Never thought I'd be so happy with a dunlop tyre!
thanks for the response Ross, Steve.
Never been a fan of Dunlop bike tyres (no particular reason...probably heard horror stories about them when I was a lil'tacker), but great to hear positive feedback about the Roadsmarts...my old man has just ordered Q2's for his GSX1400, so will be interested to hear what he thinks about them.
Thanks for the info Ross79.
I used to be a dunlop hater too.
Several years ago I had some on my ZX12R (whatever they were fitted with oem). Didn't last long and didn't grip well wet or dry. And somehow managed to get me into a tank slapper in the wet! Luckily I managed to ride it out. Talked to a few people and they all had similar feedback. After that I started going through different brands. Shinko, Metzeler (M1 & M3), Bridgestone BT020 (these only lasted 6.5k and probably the worst tyre I've had).
Then I heard a few people talking about the dual compound roadsmarts.
I stopped off at S Jay motorcycles in Melbourne with the intention of fitting some Pilots. I spoke to Sis who does a bit of racing and he recommended the Roadsmarts over the Pilots! Apparently people that have tried both, prefer the roadsmarts. I was a little hesitant as I didn't like dunlops but gave them a go. After a month of riding I was so happy with them that I dropped back into S Jay and had them fitted to my wife's bike!
I'm chipping in with my impressions of my pair of RoadSmarts.
They replaced the OEM 015's which were quite OK, but really didn't last very long (7000km).
My RdSmt's have been on 3000km now and I cannot fault them. At 38-38psi (set cold), they are perfect for me and the type of riding I do.
They feel nimble as well as give a great feedback on contact. I keep up my reading on tyres as they really are where you can save or SPEND like there's no tomorrow.
The UK "BIKE" Mag rates the RoadSmarts as their favourite Sport-Touring all-rounder and they have tried them ALL!
Rd Smts were rated as "still brilliant" against the Avon Storm Ultra 2, Bridgestone BT023, and Continental RoadAttack2.
The BT 023 got the pick as it had a slightly better ride quality. However with equal 4 Star Billing, I'll be sticking to the RoadSmarts as a "go to" all-rounder.
The only other contenders might be the (NEW)
Dunlop SportSmarts and the Metzler M5's.
I have ridden on a mate's M5's and they SHHHTICK big time giving a most confident feeling of TOTAL adhesion.
Lots of people think Dunlops are s***, but the fact is
almost 100% of IOM bikes run on Dunlops.
Dam it, now you have me thinking about the M5's!
(06-10-2010, 11:37am)ross79 Wrote: Dam it, now you have me thinking about the M5's!

Maybe also the RoadSmarts, which are due around CHRISTMAS, ready to go under the TREE!
(07-10-2010, 08:25am)FalcoPerigri Wrote:
(06-10-2010, 11:37am)ross79 Wrote: Dam it, now you have me thinking about the M5's!

Maybe also the RoadSmarts, which are due around CHRISTMAS, ready to go under the TREE!

Rear tyre is too far gone to wait that long (dialy rider). Spoke to Sjay who has an M5 ready for me. Convinced me to go to a 190/55 profile.
Price is the same as roadsmart, so I'll start another thread once I wear that out.
(07-10-2010, 10:01am)ross79 Wrote:
(07-10-2010, 08:25am)FalcoPerigri Wrote:

Rear tyre is too far gone to wait that long (dialy rider). Spoke to Sjay who has an M5 ready for me. Convinced me to go to a 190/55 profile.
Price is the same as roadsmart, so I'll start another thread once I wear that out.

Sorry I meant SportSmarts...