shoo roo
hi guys,a few people have been telling me about a high pitched sounding gadget that scares of roos and such but i suppose only the roos know if it works.My friend of western m/c Ray,said he has seen them on a few bikes. Lol2
The RSPCA doesn't endorse them as a useful product and believe me when I say they have really looked into the science of it. If they worked, the RSPCA would be on them like a fat kid on a cupcake if it reduced the human and roo fatalities. The people who make them have a whole lot of claims, but most of them can't be substantiated in tests. There is also an anecdotal suggestion that the noise can spook mobs and send them onto the road in panic. That wasn't part of the tests I've seen, that is just comments I have heard. I wish they did work, if they did I'd argue for them to be a standard piece of kit on every vehicle.

However, some people who use them swear by them.
We have used them (...or something similar, not sure of the brand/type) on some of the cars at my workplace in the past, Dave.....

can't say for sure that they are 100% effective.....but what I DID notice when I drove any cars that had them fitted, was that roo's and wallabies definately NOTICED that we were approaching! It seemed to make them aware of ur impending arrival (if they were standing beside the road, as you pass them by, most would be standing there with their ears pricked, staring STRAIGHT at you.... very similar to a soldier standing to attention)! Confused
But I've never experienced coming around a blind corner, and catching them right in the middle of the road.....and witness them physically jumping AWAY from it!?!
Next time you're travelling further out west a bit.....see if u can get some feedback off someone using them out there....

any other members had any experiences with this sorta stuff???

Coolsmiley
ive hit a roo on my bike before, does that count as experience? Lol2
100000kms in 23 months, not too bad
ME TOO! It sucks. I had a British backpacker I was trying to impress (it is always important to show a good time to visitors to our country Coolsmiley) who had never been on the back of a bike before and asked if he could see a kangaroo, because he'd never seen a kangaroo before..... It was a disaster before we even put the helmets on. Lol2

I ruptured my spleen and gave myself severe internal injuries. Took ages to recover from that and the backpacker went his merry way.
I Have heard the electronic one's work ,But who really know's . The
whistle one's ,I put in the same category as Brocky's Black box .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
we fitted an electric one to a car and the next week it came into the panel shop with the front end all smashed in.He had to drive by a lake to and from work,the first time he went past the lake with the electric shoo roo it scared a flock of geese that flew straight into his car and man it made a mess.Lol3Lol3
I have seen many cars that have hit roo's with the wistles fitted but perhaps what Bazman said seems more realistic.
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
I've been doing a few of the FarRides (www.farriders.com) and spoken to a lot of the long distance riders about these things - none of em work.
Rob[/align]