The Black and Purple rises from the ashes!
(06-05-2011, 11:18am)Aussie Steve Wrote: I'd love to see the internal damage to the original motor...are you going to strip it for spares or use it as a boat anchor?
Glenn bought the bruk motor mate. he has sent me a few of the pictures he has taken, the internals are prett f****d up. I'll see if i can get a couple up here. The separated connecting rod has suffered badly and has obviously had a catastrophic failure! A nice way of saying "Farked to death!"

Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
The first photo is the failed conrod.
[Image: BrukThrownRod.jpg]

The second is of the head with a couple of bent valves.
[Image: BrukHead.jpg]

The third picture shows the tops of a couple of the undamaged pistons. Draw your own conclusions.
[Image: Untouchedpistons.jpg]
The cases are screwed completely, we were expecting that. The barrels also unfortunately, the damage to the inserts is major, the head is pretty good with only a couple of bent valves, gearbox and periferals should be fine.

Of note is the fact that Ryan finds his "new" motor has an incredible amount of power. The old one obviously had some major problems, he only ever got around 150 kays out of a tank to dry while the valves are white. My personal conclusion is that the old motor was possessed by demons and should be burnt at the stake.ScaryScaryScary

Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
Thats a pretty impressive failure...I once remember seeing a rod through a case on a Transit van used by a company I worked for...they had a fleet of the vans and they were treated non too well.

The "undamaged" piston seems to have chips to the top...or is it my imagination. If so there is your answer hey? Some droob pulled it down to ""fix"" it and f....d it instead!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(07-05-2011, 11:53am)Aussie Steve Wrote: Thats a pretty impressive failure...I once remember seeing a rod through a case on a Transit van used by a company I worked for...they had a fleet of the vans and they were treated non too well.

The "undamaged" piston seems to have chips to the top...or is it my imagination. If so there is your answer hey? Some droob pulled it down to ""fix"" it and f....d it instead!

This motor was owned by an older man who had a number of motorcycles, the Hayabusa he hardly rode. Ryan bought it a couple of years ago with 3k on the odometer, he also rode it like an old sheila, we think that could have contributed to the early failure, a slow and too easy break-in and no use of the available power. Perhaps the things you're seeing on the piston tops are the cut-outs for the valves mate?

Regards.

Max

I had a new harley do a similar thing,turned out the factory had fitted the crank bearings wrong Idiot2 . Just ask Robbo's in fyshwick i'm sure he remembers me Lol3Lol3
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
Definitely an oil problem
Had a look in the oil pickup screen yet, bearing visible in the top pic has some marks too
Actually that failed rod looks like it was very hot before it failed...seized big end would be my guess
Could weld it back together with 2 silver yank dollers and a generator......
Looks to me like a hearing problem.

Theres no way that motor would have sounded normal ages before that mess happened........

Leonard.
Well I guess the lesson here is ride your Busa hard, do the services properly, and it'll give years of service. My Bandit was ridden relativly hard and had 75k on the clock when I traded up to the Busa so there is some truth in this.
That's not oem gasket goo around the sump! (photo of rod end).
(05-05-2011, 01:01pm)DAVE01 Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 02:11pm)Ward P Wrote:
(04-05-2011, 10:20am)Aussie Steve Wrote: BGW have them reduced from $135 to $99 delivered...black only but who cares?

Exactly the colour I want! Perfect.

Cheers.

- out of the $99 single, but including oil guard for $129 - Ordered - Thanks again!
+ 2 Thanks also Pi_thumbsup black is what I wanted Very Happy I always wondered why they had an oil cooler gaurd but not a radiator 1

Fitted both guards today. Yes
- put the new oil cooler guard over the existing - the new ones both sit off the radiator a little, and the mesh is finer than the standard on the oil cooler one, so should offer more protection.

- talk about shutting the gate after the horese has bolted. Lol3 the state of my radiator after 12 years!!!!!! - still, the new guard covers the pox ridden look of it - and it doesn't leak Pi_freak

Thanks again. and sorry for the Hijacked .
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
heh - has to be one of the first busa motors I have seen throw a rod. Nice work tho ;) but bikes are like that - heaps easy to get a motor in and out :)
[Image: nocensorship.gif]
(13-05-2011, 12:33pm)RaZ Wrote: heh - has to be one of the first busa motors I have seen throw a rod. Nice work tho ;) but bikes are like that - heaps easy to get a motor in and out :)

Onya Razza, good to see you're still with us mate.

Max