Show us ya shed
(02-02-2013, 01:13pm)Tony Nitrous Wrote: Haven't got any recent pics I can send from my phone,
but this is a couple from last year. It has a lot more Suzuki
parts in it now....

6m x 9m with 2.7 (not 2.4) walls,
My "BIKES ONLY" area....

[Image: 6x9s.jpg]

[Image: standingup.jpg]

[Image: slab1o.jpg]

[Image: bobfs.jpg]

Hey Tony

I'm currently researching sheds, I need one ASAP. Is yours 6x9m? How do you find it. My Dad is trying to convince me I only need 6x7, but that doesn't seem nearly enough!

.jpg   heidi\'s shed.jpg (Size: 12.93 KB / Downloads: 160)

This is what you need Heidi!!
Regards

Dan
Mine was a 6 by 7.2.was big enough till I got the slot car track.But a 6 by 9 would be better.I added another 3 metres to it.
(05-02-2013, 01:07pm)Heidi1 Wrote: Hey Tony

I'm currently researching sheds, I need one ASAP. Is yours 6x9m? How do you find it. My Dad is trying to convince me I only need 6x7, but that doesn't seem nearly enough!

Most places work on 3m wide 6m deep as being a single,
Then you just keep adding them 6m wide double, 9m
wide 3 car etc. Going 7m deep not 6 is great if you have
the money and space. The extra 1m means that you can
put in benches and shelves and still part a car.
I went from 6x6 to 6x9m and thought it felt BIG, a year
later I'm out of space again, go as big as you can, its
always better to have room to move than not !
Where I live its hard to get anything bigger than a 6x9
past the council as the locals are a bit up them selfs.
I'm also a fan of the 2.7 high walls not 2.4m gives a feeling
of space and legs you hang crap up above, and lets the
heat rise. Next one will be a lot bigger I hope.
(05-02-2013, 03:08pm)Tony Nitrous Wrote:
(05-02-2013, 01:07pm)Heidi1 Wrote: Hey Tony

go as big as you can, its always better to have room to move than not !

+1 Definitely go as big as you can fit/afford also as high as you can. My walls are 4.2 m to the eaves and will be putting mezzanine floor over two bays essentially giving me 5 x 3.5 by 8m bays in a 3 bay shed. The council may have something to say about that though depending on what part of town you are in always worth asking though. One more thing I have found is look into getting it certified privately. It saved me a little bit of money doing this. Also get quotes from everywhere, the shed I got the quotes came in with upto $6000 difference between best and worst quotes.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Watch out for internet based sheds... you need to ensure they conform to the building code and conditions of your area. Also some very "cheap" sheds can be made of substandard materials and have no warranty. Colourbond style sheds that are from china could actually not be a colourbond colour so any future patching, extending, etc will show up as a noticably different colour.
Tony has it right.. the bigger you can go the better!!! max it out now so you don;t have to worry in the future about doing it all over again to extend.
Don't forget to ask a builder for a price too.. if you can handle a skillion roof you may be surprised of the price ;)

Dutch Gable
Hipped
Hip and Valley
Skillion
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
I'm on fairly high ground. If we ever get flooded Brisbane will
have been long gone, but my back yard did have a few low, soft
area's that didn't drain well. I bought in 2 truck loads of crusher dust
(Very fine gravel) and raised the whole area 400mm.
The slab is poured over this and down the sides, the slab looks
like its 500mm thick but its bulked up with cheaper gravel
below not expensive concrete. Worth a thought depending on
your situation. Water ran through my yard like a river in the recent
storm but not a drop in the shed.

Think about access.
I can get a car down the side of my house but its not a massive driveway.
Wasnt going to get a full size concrete truck around there so
ended up booking a pump truck.

The crusher dust too had to be tipped in the street and taken around
in a bobcat. Sounds a drama but you only do it once, you just
need to cost it in.

I originaly applied to put in a soak away drain,
council knocked this back and said it has to be plumbed into
the main storm water, after my water tanks.

I haven't yet, but will do, or it will come up as
not being certified when I try and sell later.
BEFORE:
[Image: by1xn.jpg]

CLEARED:
[Image: by2rs.jpg]

Raised Crusher Dust Pad:
[Image: by3e.jpg]

Concrete Slab:
[Image: by4e.jpg]
I used TITAN Sheds. Very happy with them,
no drama's, very helpful, easy to deal with,
but its worth remembering with the bigger know names you see that
even with the same company, the rep/salesman will vary from area to area,
most companys who do a "package" dont use their own guys and any earthworks,
the pouring of the slab/concreters, the the team who put it up may all be
subcontractors who change from area to area, job to job.
A recommended "company" may not be 100% the same as your mate who recommended them got.
Thanks heaps guys for this information, I'm finding it really helpful. My initial quote was jaw dropping, and I realised that I was effectively hiring a project manager who was putting his cut on top of each of the sub-contractors. I've now broken it down into parts, and I'm getting a concreter in to give me a quote on the slab, I'm looking at sheds including delivery, then I'll have to find a builder who can put it up for me and I have a sparky.

Not sure at what stage I get the planning permissions, but I'll work that out when I get a moment! :)
(06-02-2013, 10:06am)Heidi1 Wrote: Thanks heaps guys for this information, I'm finding it really helpful. My initial quote was jaw dropping, and I realised that I was effectively hiring a project manager who was putting his cut on top of each of the sub-contractors. I've now broken it down into parts, and I'm getting a concreter in to give me a quote on the slab, I'm looking at sheds including delivery, then I'll have to find a builder who can put it up for me and I have a sparky.

Not sure at what stage I get the planning permissions, but I'll work that out when I get a moment! :)

make sure you run the cables for phone, internet and security cameras as it easy to do now and hard to do later! Rob
PS and good quality skylight panels. Mine has detiorated very quickly.
(06-02-2013, 10:06am)Heidi1 Wrote: Thanks heaps guys for this information, I'm finding it really helpful. My initial quote was jaw dropping, and I realised that I was effectively hiring a project manager who was putting his cut on top of each of the sub-contractors. I've now broken it down into parts, and I'm getting a concreter in to give me a quote on the slab, I'm looking at sheds including delivery, then I'll have to find a builder who can put it up for me and I have a sparky.

Councils can be different everywhere (even if in same State). Here you need a planning permit to see if it's allowed, then a building permit to actually do the construction. The building permit will need to be signed off as complete before you are supposed to start using it (naughty Tony lol). And as Tony said it will def need to be signed as completed before you can sell the joint.

Ring your local council and talk to the planning department, they are normally helpful and can hint at what is concidered the max standard for your area in height, size, etc... [/quote]

BTW.. the optional insulation I included to me would be standard cause I don;t want to freeze or boil as I play with my toys
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
I was refused planning permission.
Told there was a 3m easement across my property.
Council and Urban utility's wouldn't say why,
no services any where near.
They wanted to charge me to put an application in
to just apply to see if it could be lifted of not and
wait several weeks.

Lucky my Mrs is very good at what she does,
they lifted the easement and granted planning permission
within a week!

I stayed 1m off the bounderys so I have access to
work on the shed and fence's ( and hide crap behind the shed)
but was surprised the council would let be go right up to the fence, no drama.

Being near the city I was told a 6m x 9m would be classed as a
triple garage and not be a drama. Bigger and council would question it
and not be so keen. Not sure how true that was.
G'day
I contracted the concrete driveway and slab myself, then contracted a shed supplier/builder who did the council approvals stood the shed (and he used subbies for that), 6m wide x 9m deep could park two cars side by side and leave plenty of room for workbench etc at front.
Mates who were leckos and drainers etc did those bits.
I did the shelving, built the bench and stuff.
Good result...in fact, it became the BBQ and party room :-)
Regards
Kevin
(06-02-2013, 10:06am)Heidi1 Wrote: I'm looking at sheds including delivery, then I'll have to find a builder who can put it up

I'd be tempted to ask around and see who's putting them up in your area.
They are not rocket science, and are well within the ability of an average builder,
but the guy's who do them all day every day, make it look so easy and have
learnt all the little tricks and best / easy way to do them.
Most of the guy's putting them up are only subcontractors and should be happy
to quote or do a deal with you.

[Image: bybits.jpg]
WOW! Keep these suggestions coming, I'm learning heaps. I'll admit, the first two building quotes I got turned out to be fact finding missions, I didn't realise how much I didn't know until I started. Unfortunately one of those builders treated me like a complete fuckwit based on my gender, so we won't be using him :) The other one was completely lovely and talked me through the entire process. I'm likely to go with him for the concreting at least.
P.S. I've just moved, so I have five bikes to house and no garage. This is the solution..... Not a bad one, but I can't WAIT for a garage. If you look carefully you can see the RGV hiding in the second dog run. I need to somehow sneak in the postie, Cub and busa.

Similar situation.
I moved and had a 6m x 6m full of bikes and parts.
New house had nothing, not even anywhere to put garden tools.
New shed wasnt the cheapest but it needed to be done
done ASAP ! Next one will be better planned. Only thing
I had in my favour was I'd just done 8 years earthworks
in the local area and had an idea of what stuff should cost
and what was practical to do.