Fuel
Does everyone run premium fuel or not?

If yes,what about when small towns don't have it?

Do the busa's ping on regular?
G'day,

I have always attempted to use premium in the Bus when ever I can. On occaision, on tour, the odd tank of regular has gone in with no noticeable side effects or pinging. Keep to premium as a rule of thumb in my view.

On the issue of premium, I have started to avoid Optimax in preference for the CAltex, Mobil or BP product. Might be my poor imagination but my standard Bus goes much better and smoother.

See you all on the 31st.

Poh

I likewise avoid the Optimax now, and lean towards the Mobil synergy 8000. When I remember, I take a small bottle of octane boost when I go country. (I haven't noticed anything too adverse when I don't add octane boost to standard unleaded, but have had technical advice to say that I should. I know, I know, technical advice varies immensely from person to person and even week to week, but this is the advice I am currently following...)
I must say that is disapointing that Shell's Optimax doesn't stand up to the competition. You would think that it would be at least 98+ octane after boasting that it was developed in partnership with Ferrari (Ferrari spec = at least 98 octane) and being the official fuel of the V8 supercars. I've heard that BP ultimate is the best, but have not tried it yet.
for quite some time i used optimax on my busas and found that it ran much better on plain unleaded,,

unlike my previous busas the k2 did not suffer any ill effects from the installation of a sports air filter and slipon cans, it purrs like a kitten on plain unleaded without any retuning,,

last week i became adventerous and tried the bp ultimate for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised that it made my bike run even smoother,,

les
Always run ULP, have tried PULP in the past and noticed no difference. To the best of my knowledge she does not ping. A lot of this stuff is on the yank boards, consensus seems to be that due to the 11:1 compression ratio and the fact that the busa does not have a knock detector, you wouldn't get any benefit from premium.If you have then it is probably due to:

1. A lot of carbon build up on piston crown and head causing compression ratio to rise and a need to then use PULP.

2. A crappy batch of fuel prior to going to PULP.

3. Additional cleaning ingredients added to the fuel that may be cleaning the intake valves.

Remember no knock detector, ignition timing does not advance to to the point of maximum power. If anything the more stable (less volatole) PULP may even give you less power output. The yanks like to use regular and add SP-1 injector cleaner whatever that is.
From what ive heard fuel os is different than fuel in oz. different refining i suppose.

I find every tank will give me different performance. Seems like QA is up the shit. And even better... air temp makes more difference than fuel types.
HI GUYS
THOUGHT I WOULD ADD MY 2 CENT'S WORTH ABOUT FUEL AND TRY NOT TO STEP ON ANY TOES THIS TIME.
I AGREE WITH BEESTROYER THE REFINING PROCESS IS DIFFERENT WITH FUELS EVERYWHERE YOU GO EG: EUROPE, AMERICA, AISA, AUSTRALIA. THE PROCESS IS DIFFERENT TO MEET THAT COUNRTIES SPECIFIC GOVT REGULATIONS.
I TO FIND THAT I GET DIFFERENT KM'S FROM EVERY TANK FULL AS WELL AS THROTTLE RESPONSE.CANT BE TO EASY ON THE THROTTLE EVERY DAY ?
DEPENDS ON HOW LONG HAS BEEN IN SERVO WHERE THE TANK (AT SERVO) IS WHEN REFILLED AND WHAT RATING IT IS FILLED WITH.
STILL STICK WITH PULP THOUGH AND KEEP CLEAR OF OPTIMAX.
ALSO USE A BOOSTER EVERY 4 TANK FULLS
We have guys bring thier bikes into the workshop with flooding type systems in various models and makes and the first question we ask is "have you used Optimax?"It seems to be too thick for bikes but does work ok in Yamaha YZ250's.