Just did the plugs, 24,000

Some prick backed into my bike and bumbed it over, that's what you get for parking directly behind a car in the roadhouse carpark I guess. I thought he was in the shop! Not sitting in the car eating breakfast. Doesn't matter, just a few scratches and a broken brake leaver that the insurance is going to pay for.

It goes in tomorrow for some new lower fairing bitz, RHS and I thought I would do that bloody oil filter today since it requires removal of said bitz. I did that and decided that since the tools were out I would replace the plugs. I bought the Denso (lol, what a name hey) iridium plugs a couple of months ago for $80 the set. I know some of you recon that they never need replacing but if you have ever been stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dud plug you tend to look at things differently.

I had the manual pages printed out and a great write up from Hayabusa.org to go by (though instead of using silicon spray on the rubber I used spit, with a little biscuit mixed in there too I think?) Anyway it was a pretty straight forward job I thought.

1/ Seat off and Tank up on its leg after removing the 2 bolts up front
2/ Pull off 3 hoses, disconnect 1 sensor and slide off another from airbox
3/ Undo the air box bolt and loosen the two 3mm throttlebody clamps
4/ Wriggle off the airbox, unclip the coil leads, pull the coil packs off
5/ Pull the plugs out.

I think the most important part of the web directions though was the pulling out of the plugs with a magnet if your plug spanner rubber is shonky, and most importantly
BLOW AND OR VACUUM AROUND THE COIL PACKS
I did both, there was tons of crap up there and I used a small vacuum cleaner and also blew out the plug wells before I pulled out the plugs.

It even started after I put it all back together which was a bonus. And I had no parts left over except the old plugs, which is a sure sign the job was probably done well. I did have a little help from a $400 3/8 drive tension wrench, just to get things right, but all the rest you could just about do with the tool kit under the seat. In fact I'm sure you could.

Messages In This Thread
Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by gringo - 18-06-2014, 04:51pm
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by mozza24 - 19-06-2014, 10:14am
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by gringo - 22-06-2014, 07:46am
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by mozza24 - 23-06-2014, 09:49pm
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by Axe - 24-06-2014, 09:53am
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by gringo - 24-06-2014, 01:40pm
RE: Just did the plugs, 24,000 - by Axe - 24-06-2014, 02:14pm