Fuels (and GSXR1000's...)
G'day All,

The rusults are in and from the air fuel ratios Optimax still looks the goods. Optimax actually leaned out the AFR so the power went up.

However I can't say what this fuel is like in your area. But wher I get it it's more than OKAY.

Trying to add a link. HATE, ANGER and even more HATE!!!!!!

Regards Col <i></i>
To add a link, just put in the full address, including the http:// bit at the front, and it will convert it automatically... (assuming the Posting Option at the bottom, "Convert URL Links" is checked).

Well, I haven't put anything but Optimax in for months. I will risk running out of fuel looking for a Shell rather than put just anything in. I don't know about up in Sydney, but down here it is know about 6-7 cents above Unleaded. It used to be about 4 cents diff... <i></i>
Has anyone tried out the new Mobil "Synergy" high octane fuel in their bike and had a better result than Optimax? I have run my bike on Optimax, but feels like it is running too rich, as someone mentioned above. And does anyone know if the high Octane BP fuel is used, does the bike have to be re-mapped?

I'm a Shell man thru & thru....... and after bloody Mobil & BP used too much EDA in their AVGAS (which the USA had banned in their AVGAS 11 years ago mind you!!), I'm pretty wary of trying the fuel !! And I heard their car fuel was contaminated at some stage too...DOH!! I've seen the result of the Mobil AVGAS contamination as I was the unlucky bastard of cleaning it out of the aircraft fuel systems and saw the damage it did to engine components !! .....But, I'm curious on this new Mobil Synergy fuel they promote in Vic. here?!

Cheers, Peter <i></i>
I've been having troubles with what I thought was dirty fuel for nearly 12months now, so I've tried many different fuels, and replaced that dreaded fuel filter more times than I'd care to say ($50 a pop - damn)
I've now been running the High octane BP fuel for the past 3 months and the bikes going like a rocket - or should I say like a busa.
The dirty fuel problem I now think was a firthy. Since replacing the main fuel line and return breather line I haven't had a problem. I think the return had been kinked at some stage and in raising and lowering the tank it had settled to a position that resticted flow.
Now my only problem is that the fuel gauge reads high which is embarrassing when the bike runs out of fuel before the light comes on. Can anyone shed any light on how I can fix this? <i></i>
G'day One and all,

Well I've tried to put up a link to show the dyno runs we did on Keiths bike, but I've failed. I need some help here.

The runs show the difference in Air Fuel Ratios between Optimax and BP PULP.

On this issue its interesting to note that where I get my fuel, they have a huge turnover of optimax, and on a race bike we play with they get their optimax where they can. Of interest is that the injection system seems to need remapping every time new fuel is purchased. So much for consistancy. Will be trying the mobil fuel soon. Keep you posted.

Regards Col. <i></i>
JP, You mentioned previously that the viscosity of Optimax may be a problem for some Suzuki's injection systems. Does this apply to carburettor models?Specifically a GSX750F. Thanks in advance.

regards - Jim <i></i>
Any fuel with a higher than normal density will alter the height at which the carb float sits. A denser fuel will cause the float to sit higher giving a leaner mixture (ask the motocross boys about Optimax and detonation).
The GSX750F is not as critical to proper air/fuel ratio as say the competition two strokes, but the same applies to the float height The bike will run higher float height with Optimax. Will the higher density compensate the higher air/fuel ratio? Competition experience would suggest not. <i></i>
G'day all,
Had the bike serviced today and one of the comments the guy made was that he had noticed a few problems with people using Optimax. I looked at the earlier postings on the subject here and there are differing opinions. Guy also mentioned that he preferred Caltex vortex.
I have no idea which is better, maybe he owns shares. Col mentioned that the results he has seen were favourable towards the Shell product and I would tend to heed his advice, however, he did mention that it may depend on where you buy the fuel from. Maybe a higher throughput ie turnover servo' would be better or does the mix vary from state to state?
Being very much a lay person on such things, I thought I'd just raise the issue again because it's not so much the extra 1 or 2 hp I'm worried about but longevity of the engine.
Is this really something to worry about or is a bit of variation to be expected? I would say yes but we Busa owners are fussy with what we stick in the damn things.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Steve....
<i></i>