Psycology of riding
Guys can anyone recommend a good book to read that deals with getting back on a bike after a decent crash? A mate of mine is battling some bad demons after his acco & not sure if he wants to, or can ride a large capacity bike again.Undecided
Psychological thought processing & reinvention if you know what I mean.
Cheers Nick
'The more professional you are, the closer you get to your client' Leon.

I actually feel much safer on a larger capacity bike. Yes, it can get you into trouble, but it can also get you out and allow you to get away from a potential threat. A bit heavier bike is also a bit slower to react and more forgiving in a panic situation, but does need a more forceful push at times.

But if he's unsure, the last thing I would do is push him to get back on if he doesn't feel ready. Riding a bike is a mental exercise, and a lack of confidence is definitely the wrong state of mind to start with.
He'll know when he's ready, but the odd motorcycle mag, and a copy of Kieth Codes "twist of the wrist" lying around wouldn't hurt.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(12-02-2014, 09:37pm)Ward P Wrote: I actually feel much safer on a larger capacity bike. Yes, it can get you into trouble, but it can also get you out and allow you to get away from a potential threat. A bit heavier bike is also a bit slower to react and more forgiving in a panic situation, but does need a more forceful push at times.

But if he's unsure, the last thing I would do is push him to get back on if he doesn't feel ready. Riding a bike is a mental exercise, and a lack of confidence is definitely the wrong state of mind to start with.
He'll know when he's ready, but the odd motorcycle mag, and a copy of Kieth Codes "twist of the wrist" lying around wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for your advice Wardy. He has ridden large capacity machines for years. Over coming his state of mind is the big job.

Get him to a track day at least every ones going the same way and he may find himself again out there
" SO MANY TURKEYS IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ONE "
I had a bad off many many year ago and was not mobile for approx. 9mth but once I had talked myself into it I used my mates dirt bike out in the bush to get my confidence back then when I was feeling happy within myself I jumped on my mates 1100 Kat to get back on the road. I also had a couple of guys that I knew that had been down the road in a big way so it certainly helped talking with guys that had been in same predicament.

I found that guys that I knew that only had minor accidents didn't understand what was going on inside your head and if anything would piss me off because they use to keep going on and on which made things worse for me so when he's ready he'll let you know. If it drags on for a couple of years you could always try what me and one of my mates did to a friend of ours, basically he was in a bad way so we organised to go out to his girl friends house, I rode over to his house to get a lift but and when he was in the toilet we said to him we'll catch up with you there and took off in the car and left his helmet and my bike keys on the table in the kitchen and made sure there was no other transportation there as it was about 1/2 ride / drive. It took a few hours and I'm still not sure what made him get back on the bike but he did and rocked around to his girl friends house and all we could get out of him was you bunch of wankers and even to this day he still won't talk about his 1st outing back on the bike except to tell us we are still a bunch of wankers. He is still riding and loves it just as much as I do, I don't see him that often as he's on the other side of the country but we still talk.

Anyway hope he works through it there's nothing worse when you've been knocked for a 6 it can take a while but eventually you'll get there so hope this helps & pass on my regards.
A little different to what the topic is, but it'll still be worth the read and may help a little: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mechanics.

edit: maintenance....not mechanics.

thanks Pan.
I think it's "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance", in case people are trying to Google it...
he can try this....

"Back in the Saddle Again: How to Overcome Fear of Riding after a Motorcycle Accident."

by Brenda Bates

or I think it would be better for him to address the PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) that could be at the root of the issue that was caused by the accident

not everything Quack doctors say is all crap
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Hi Guys hope you can open this up but this might be what your talkin about.

.pdf   zen-motorcycle.pdf (Size: 632.39 KB / Downloads: 16)
(14-02-2014, 11:47am)Batfink Wrote: he can try this....

"Back in the Saddle Again: How to Overcome Fear of Riding after a Motorcycle Accident."

by Brenda Bates

or I think it would be better for him to address the PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) that could be at the root of the issue that was caused by the accident

not everything Quack doctors say is all crap

Hey Batfink, can I buy this in Australia?

Amazon dude lol

Will warn you that it is a book written by a female psychologist aimed at women riders so some thing will be off the mark for us guys but overall okay for everyone
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
I rode a GS500 in heavy rain and several area's of standing water along
with some entertaining side winds, back to my Suzuki dealer. Picked up
my B-King from its service and headed home.

B-King was 100 times safer!
Stable and planted, heaps of grunt meaning next to no gear changes,
Brakes that worked well even when cold and wet, fat sticky tyres giving
a nice sticky foot print.

It's extra weight and 160hp were forgotten about and I trundled off home
a LOT safer than the awful little 500.