Charging Problems
Idiot2Hi All
I have a problem with my 99 busa the battery keeps going flat after 1 hour riding. I have checked Stator output as per manual 66 volts and 2 ohm resistance on coils,no voltage drop or current draw.I have also checked the rectifier as per book seems ok. the charge rate is 13.2 at 5,000 rpm. Has anybody come accross a similar problem. Baby has done 115,000Ks
Thanks Glen
Hi GMB

Have you tried other batteries? I've found that bike batteries can be quite fragile. I've left them in a bike for about 4 weeks without starting the machine or supplying a trickle charge. Then although the battery will appear to hold charge it fails after a few days.

Tim.
Licence Back!
Yes, sorry, I didn't mention that I had fitted a brand new fully charged battery. my first thought was a failed battery
Did YOU charge it ? Most batteries are filled & handed to customers without going anywhere near a charger. Initial charging is critical for battery life...I'd leave it on trickle for a while.
Never ride the A model of anything.
Yes, I fully charged it, also no short to ground in wiring loom
Still sounds stator/reg/retifier based as it (like you state) is going flat while actually riding it, rather than when parked up. Did you check the connectors throughly?

Leonard.Biker
Connectors would be my first thought too
Look for a discoloured terminal or melted connector housing... at the regulator connector
It is going flat while riding. I checked all connections and pulled them apart, cleaned them with contact cleaner.I could see nothing out of the ordinary.So I am off to buy a rectifier today(old one tested ok by the book ). will let you know if this is the problem.
New rectifier fitted charging ay 14.3 volts