Going Turbo....
Hi All,

After thinking for almost 3 months, I have now decided that I will upgrade my 00 busa with a turbo charger. Since I want my bike to be unique and functional, the exterior will be stock - i.e. paint etc. Most importantly (I want to do the turbo mode on a shoestring budget).

Although I will add heavy springs in front forks, change front disks (mine are warped) - change the head and wheels bearings - change the Clutch Plates and add heavy springs (I have that typical Gen1 pre 01 clutch bark) - maybe I will wait till the turbo is tuned for clutch updates.

All of this will happen in next 6 to 8 months.

So here is the Plan.

• First 2 to 3 months will be spending on doing research. I know standard stock single turbo fits the bill and all works out. But due to my requirement to be unique, I will be exploring the idea of a twin turbo (there are small turbos available on US ebay which are quick spool and area ideal for a twin turbo package.) or a combination of a Super and Turbo Charger (may be to futuristic and complicated)

• Parts design and sourcing will be the next 2 to 3 months project (I live in a unit so space is a constraint).

• Making parts and installation is the next 2 to 3 months project - this will include completion of all installation and then getting it professionally tuned.

At the end of the project - I am looking at around healthy 280 to 300 bhp out of a twin or combination package or 240 to 260 out of a single turbo unit.

Lot of love, labour and fair bit of money will be invested in this.

To proceed ahead I will need help from all your guys - in terms of knowledge and tips, help in sourcing parts from the correct vendor.

Currently my bike is at 77K (I bought it at 59K last year) - is this a good mileage for the turbo job or has my bike past the mileage point - it still runs like a bomb.

Guido knows the bike as he recognised it last time from the red callipers - he has seen this bike been at the WISD few times.

Lot of questions and concerns, but fact remains that I want to go Turbo now.....

Cheers,

Bill
Oh boy are you in for some fun......

I have a couple of different cad drawings for a plenum if you want to get one made up.

having nearly finished my own home made kit so I can probably give you some experiences that I have had recently and put you onto some good places to look at stuff and compare.

Maj and Legend are always good for technical info and advice.
http://www.bellengineering.net for an FMU, these are used on RCC kits.
MTQ engine services - Call Marc Sloan is Brisbane office. Tell him Matt told you to give him a call. I bought a GT2860 off him, they also do sonic perormance gear, Tial, Bosch Pumps etc. Marc is a great guy and very helpful.

If you want to have a chat send PM me and I will give you my phone number.
There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer
good luck mate send pics of the build process, don't give up by the way twin turbo would be very cool if you can get it to work
Twin turbo will complicate things a bit for no advantage, but it has been done before and could be again.
actual fabrication of the hardware isn't too hard if you have any skills in that area, real trap is the fuel and tuning, most underestimate the needs .
Maj Wrote:Twin turbo will complicate things a bit for no advantage, but it has been done before and could be again.
actual fabrication of the hardware isn't too hard if you have any skills in that area, real trap is the fuel and tuning, most underestimate the needs .

Hi Maj,

This is the only reason that I will be spending considerable amount of time researching the topic and then act on the findings.

Cheers,

Bill
Hi,

Saw this on ebay need ---input from you experts.

Cheers,

Bill

Saw this on ebay - Garrett turbocharger This is the latest version Variable Nozzle Technology Performance Turbocharger This super turbocharger is in perfect new condition and has not been installed. They were removed from packaging, cleaned of some light rust on exhaust housing Etc. and re-packaged.

The part numbers etc. are MODEL # VNT-TA-0218P. & 5231071---465599-6 It is a very small package, considering it is self regulating and requires no wastegate Etc. This is one of the most advanced turbos ever built. The exhaust housing has a 90 degree down pipe, or you can remove it to expose a compact 4- bolt flange. This super turbo has moveable vanes inside it that constantly move and adjust the A/R of the exhaust housing.

This makes it come on almost instantly and makes full boost right off the bottom of the RPM range. Once it is at full boost it adjusts itself to maintain the peak efficiency from the turbo. At higher RPM the vanes or nozzle change to act as a higher A/R housing. This makes the top end incredible! This varying nozzle technology makes it work on very low displacement engines as well. This unit also has a very low drag carbon compressor seal so it will operate with low shaft drag and is ideally suited for draw through systems with fuel going through the turbocharger.

The center section or bearing housing on this unit is the multi position type that is far superior to the normal ones seen on most TURBOS. This lets you adjust the position to suit your application by simply remounting the pressure pod. You will get the turbocharger assembly, oil inlet fitting, Water inlet and outlet fittings, boost pressure fittings, pressure control diaphragm pod, exhaust outlet bolts and down elbow.
If you are still interested in twin turbos, I think the guys at tobefast did a twin turbo busa. Check it out.
bgaheer Wrote:Hi,

Saw this on ebay need ---input from you experts.

Cheers,

Bill

Saw this on ebay - Garrett turbocharger This is the latest version Variable Nozzle Technology Performance Turbocharger This super turbocharger is in perfect new condition and has not been installed. They were removed from packaging, cleaned of some light rust on exhaust housing Etc. and re-packaged.

The part numbers etc. are MODEL # VNT-TA-0218P. & 5231071---465599-6 It is a very small package, considering it is self regulating and requires no wastegate Etc. This is one of the most advanced turbos ever built. The exhaust housing has a 90 degree down pipe, or you can remove it to expose a compact 4- bolt flange. This super turbo has moveable vanes inside it that constantly move and adjust the A/R of the exhaust housing.

This makes it come on almost instantly and makes full boost right off the bottom of the RPM range. Once it is at full boost it adjusts itself to maintain the peak efficiency from the turbo. At higher RPM the vanes or nozzle change to act as a higher A/R housing. This makes the top end incredible! This varying nozzle technology makes it work on very low displacement engines as well. This unit also has a very low drag carbon compressor seal so it will operate with low shaft drag and is ideally suited for draw through systems with fuel going through the turbocharger.

The center section or bearing housing on this unit is the multi position type that is far superior to the normal ones seen on most TURBOS. This lets you adjust the position to suit your application by simply remounting the pressure pod. You will get the turbocharger assembly, oil inlet fitting, Water inlet and outlet fittings, boost pressure fittings, pressure control diaphragm pod, exhaust outlet bolts and down elbow.

That turbo is too small for a 'busa, and would normally be controlled by a vacuum regulator. I had one of those as my 1st turbo kit - I gave it away.

Run a mile IMHO.
There are vnt turbo's available in busa size, but again its a complication thats not necessary, you need a manager to operate the vnt section, it pulses a solenoid to vary the amount of vac the actuator has,changing the vane angles which varys the turbo speed.
If you have ever spun a bearing with air , you will be familiar with changing the angle of the air nozzle to speed up or slow the bearing. (not recommended can be dangerous) VNT operates the same way.
Looks like the type of turbo used on diesel nissan's & are prone to jamming & overboosting. 3.0 diesel navaras & patrols go really well just before ..... BANG.

Have caused many expensive engine rebuilds.

Ask your local nissan mechanic !
Yep thems the ones, local garage has one at the moment on a cruiser, sticky actuator hangs and it spikes 25-30psi
Hey mate are ya still doin ur turbo?
Nope, just bought a Gen2 K9.......
(05-04-2010, 08:53pm)Bill Gaheer Wrote: Nope, just bought a Gen2 K9.......

Booooooooo

lol